Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TooMuchPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
On 17.2.1 this happens using Windows 10 (I have an Apple Watch). When turning on airplane mode and turning off WiFi and Bluetooth it completes but log files aren’t removed. I’m thinking maybe the way co-logs are made (watch +phone) may have changed- who knows - Apple is not the company it once was - sad!

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I have now found that no sync is possible between my phone and mac. Turning off my Apple Watch had no effect, force quitting that MDCrashreporttool only stops the attempt but no sync occurs. I sync all my content through iCloud so this is not a critical function for me but for those who use their computers to sync content this could be devastating.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^this.

Last sync last week, with all the suggestions, was a mess for me (also affected iPad: was not seen).

Since sync is pretty much meaningless these days for me, what with iCloud handling the important stuff, crash/diagnostic logs is only item of possible issue. But since looks like these are only retained for last seven days, and storage on my phone is not an issue, will skip this for now.

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
Enabling Airplane mode and disabling Bluetooth to disconnect Apple Watch allows iPhone to sync and remove logs in iTunes again with 17.3 beta 2.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Enabling Airplane mode and disabling Bluetooth to disconnect Apple Watch allows iPhone to sync and remove logs in iTunes again with 17.3 beta 2.
That’s not actually a fix. In 17.2 beta 3 none of that had to be done and syncs were working. However anyone reading through here should be aware quite a number of people are reporting their phones being unuseable after this latest beta. They are apparently attempting a restore to hopefully fix this. I’ll sit out until 17.3 is fully released. No fix for syncing and a possibly bricked phone, I think not.

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
That’s not actually a fix. In 17.2 beta 3 none of that had to be done and syncs were working. However anyone reading through here should be aware quite a number of people are reporting their phones being unuseable after this latest beta. They are apparently attempting a restore to hopefully fix this. I’ll sit out until 17.3 is fully released. No fix for syncing and a possibly bricked phone, I think not.
I did not mean it as a fix but we are back to at least a workaround.

david5166

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Does anyone know if this issue will be fixed in the next version of 17? The MDCrashreporter quit works for me, but surely Apple should be working to resolve this issue properly?

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Does anyone know if this issue will be fixed in the next version of 17? The MDCrashreporter quit works for me, but surely Apple should be working to resolve this issue properly?
I received an email from Apple that the current 17.3 beta may fix this issue. After installing that I found that it does not. Force quitting MDCrashreporter does not work either. I was able to complete a sync by turning off my Apple Watch. That had failed to work also prior to installing 17.3. So I foresee no fix in the near future.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I've been having this same issue on my 15 Pro Max on every iOS 17.x beta and official release. I stopped using betas after 17.1. The only fix I found has been unplugging my 15 Pro Max from my MacBook Air once I see it's stuck on step 2, plugging it back in and pressing sync always completes the sync with no issue. Unfortunately, I have to do this same dance every time I try to sync. I hope a fix is coming.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
@Jimmie Geddes This also works for me but it doesn't copy or delete the analytic log files for me.

@papbot Yup. Seems we're back to 17.1 where it will work when you turn off the Apple Watch. Logs are copied over to the Mac and some logs files are deleted off the iPhone.

I hope they fix this completely in this release but I'm doubtful.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
I just found out that the MDCrashReportTool has been preventing my M1 Mini from properly sleeping properly. The only way I noticed this was that my SSD Thunderbolt raid wouldn't stay powered down when the Mini was supposed to be sleeping. So far after killing MDCrashReportTool, and preventing my iPhone 12 from automatically connecting/syncing va wifi has resolved that issue.

As this issue appears to have been occuring for years, I am wondering if this has been the reason for sleep issues in the past with my iMac. Also of note, is that of my 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, only the iPhone 12 causes the problem.

Scratch that, it must just be this latest update of Sonoma:

Last edited:

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
17.3 RC, syncing to Mac only works when Apple Watch is turned off. Copies log files to Mac and deletes "some" log files from the iPhone.

Unplugging the iPhone when it's stuck at step 2 also works but doesn't copy/delete log files from the iPhone.

Reactions: papbot

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
17.3 RC, syncing to Mac only works when Apple Watch is turned off. Copies log files to Mac and deletes "some" log files from the iPhone.

Unplugging the iPhone when it's stuck at step 2 also works but doesn't copy/delete log files from the iPhone.
I’ll try this in the morning. Why Apple can’t get this right, since it doesn’t affect iPads, only the phones, I don’t know. Of course the watches only pair to phones so that may be a factor.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I’ll try this in the morning. Why Apple can’t get this right, since it doesn’t affect iPads, only the phones, I don’t know. Of course the watches only pair to phones so that may be a factor.
Turning off the Apple watch first had no effect. Syncing stopped at step 2, stayed there for about 2 minutes then quickly flashed across the screen as if it completed. I knew it hadn't as I have a sysdiagnose file on my phone and those take a considerable amount of time to be copied over. No sync occurred and no files were copied over or removed from my phone. Still completely broken.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Turning off the Apple watch first had no effect. Syncing stopped at step 2, stayed there for about 2 minutes then quickly flashed across the screen as if it completed. I knew it hadn't as I have a sysdiagnose file on my phone and those take a considerable amount of time to be copied over. No sync occurred and no files were copied over or removed from my phone. Still completely broken.

Is your Mac running the RC? My MBP is and sync took a few seconds to start and complete step 2. Apple Watch has to be powered off before connecting the iPhone to the computer.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Is your Mac running the RC? My MBP is and sync took a few seconds to start and complete step 2. Apple Watch has to be powered off before connecting the iPhone to the computer.
My Mac is on the current general release. I’ll try it again after the new full Sonoma release. But this is tiresome.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
I also have this issue with syncing - had it since iOS17. killing MDCrashreporter does the trick, but very disappointed this still exists. Filed a bug report with Apple a while back.

I'm running Sonoma on a MacStudioM2Max, phone and Mac fully updated.

Reactions: knweiss

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
I just found out that the MDCrashReportTool has been preventing my M1 Mini from properly sleeping properly. The only way I noticed this was that my SSD Thunderbolt raid wouldn't stay powered down when the Mini was supposed to be sleeping. So far after killing MDCrashReportTool, and preventing my iPhone 12 from automatically connecting/syncing va wifi has resolved that issue.

As this issue appears to have been occuring for years, I am wondering if this has been the reason for sleep issues in the past with my iMac. Also of note, is that of my 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, only the iPhone 12 causes the problem.

Scratch that, it must just be this latest update of Sonoma:
OT but curious - are you getting a string of ASL Sender Statistics in the console in the hours your Mini should be sleeping? I have a Mac Studio and though the screen doesn't wake, my console is peppered with overnight ASL messages. I have an external Samsung 4t SSD attached. Also have sync issue...

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
OT but curious - are you getting a string of ASL Sender Statistics in the console in the hours your Mini should be sleeping? I have a Mac Studio and though the screen doesn't wake, my console is peppered with overnight ASL messages. I have an external Samsung 4t SSD attached. Also have sync issue...
Looks like I'm getting them every ~10 minutes

levanid

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
I do think it has to do with having an Apple Watch but it fails to sync randomly. Sometimes with the Apple Watch turned off, sometimes I still need to unplug and plug.

My partner's iPhone 15 Pro has no issues with syncing but she also doesn't own an Apple Watch. My iPad also syncs fine. It's also broken on a Windows machine using iTunes and the preview Apple Devices app.

I filed tickets under iOS, WatchOS and MacOS just to be safe. All tickets show no similar reports, lol.
Thank you
I'm on latest iOS 17.2.1 and Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1
Today I was trying to sync audiobooks to my iPhone with no luck – Finder got stuck on Preparing To Sync (step 2)

It went through instantly after I turned off my Apple Watch (S9)

Reactions: macguru212

RobertoDLV

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2021
Glad to see I wasn't the only one!

Had syncing issues for weeks (not sure it is related but it started when I had my first Apple Watch...) and didn't find a proper solution.
It always endlessly got stuck at " Preparing to sync (step 3 of 5)" in the Finder.

I updated iPhone and Watch with the new .3 updates (macOS wise I'm stuck with Catalina) and I'm now able to perform syncing with no issues. Hope it lasts.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
All devices are now updated to latest releases - 17.3 for iOS and Sonoma 14.3. A sync still does not occur even with Apple Watch off. it hangs at step 2 then quickly clears after a minute or two without performing a sync. Also it no longer begins a sync when the phone is connected by cable as it is supposed to when that setting is enabled. I see that some are reporting this was improved for them but apparently for others it's still broken.

david5166

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Today I updated my M1 Mac to Sonoma 14.3, Watch Ultra V1 to OS 10.3 and iPhone 15 Pro to 17.3... did it make a difference? No. It didn't. Still have to use the Activity Monitor - quit MDCrashReporter work round. Oh well...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.