Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
I know the questions been beaten to death, but come on? I get mixed results when searching. :p

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
My experience is it really doesn't erase everything.
For example, if your music library is the same it'll ask you in a dialog box permission to 'erase and sync' yet when I check the proper box to allow it to do so quickly and simply follows through because the music on my iPhone matches that of my computer (iTunes).

Same with contacts and apps.

Short answer: nothing bad will happen by doing so.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
My experience is it really doesn't erase everything.
For example, if your music library is the same it'll ask you in a dialog box permission to 'erase and sync' yet when I check the proper box to allow it to do so quickly and simply follows through because the music on my iPhone matches that of my computer (iTunes).

Same with contacts and apps.

Short answer: nothing bad will happen by doing so.

Well, music I don't really mind if that goes. I'm more worried about my apps and app layout that you normally get from a backup. Since this is a new computer hard drive, it doesn't have my backup and it won't let me do anything but erase/sync. How do I get around this or what's the best way to backup the apps and data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.