Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebitguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
I upgraded to the High Sierra GM Candidate (from Sierra) a few days ago because I have always had good luck with GMs in the past. Unfortunately, I think this one has issues. After the upgrade completed, it never showed me the "Welcome" to High Sierra wizard and allowed me to login directly (i.e. regular login screen).

Right away I knew something wasn't right because the fans came on and stayed on. I gave it a few hours thinking that it's likely Spotlight that's reindexing everything, but that didn't do it. Looking in Console, I saw thousands of log messages with plenty of errors and faults. After some poking, I learned that my iCloud account wasn't signed in so I did that manually, and that reduced the number of errors.

The system continues to function, but it's quite unstable, and most of the times it crashes during/right after sleep.

Given the above, what are my options? Is there a way to "reinstall" just the operating system files and reinitialize the system without removing all of my applications (and, obviously, losing any data)? I do have Time Machine backups from right before the upgrade and two times after it.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Personally, I will be doing a fresh install and restore to get the cleanest install and upgrade of my file system. I recommend the same for you

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
When you do an in-place install/upgrade on macOS, it does not display the "Welcome" screen/wizard. It simply takes you to the login screen. This is how macOS/OS X has worked for years. I remember upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and after the upgrade finished, being taken straight to the login screen.

You only get the Welcome wizard/screen when you do a clean install.

Reactions: thebitguru

thebitguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Oh, I see. Thanks, @KoolAid-Drink. I must be mistaken then. I wonder why it didn't prompt me to re-enter the iCloud settings if I was logged out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.