Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Hey, so I'm having a problem with my System Preferences app. A few settings panes are greyed out and I can't access them. I'm an administrator on my computer and I'm pretty sure this is a profile that's doing this. But the Profiles pane is greyed out too. I've been looking online trying to find a solution to my problem and nothing has worked. I've tried deleting any profiles installed through Terminal and no luck. I've updated my computer and that didn't fix anything either. Next I'm going to re-install the OS hoping that'll help. If there's any solutions that don't go as far as re-installing the OS though I'd be more than happy to hear them. The panes greyed out aren't crucial and I can still access the important panes without a problem, it's just frustrating that some of them are greyed out. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Problem is solved.

Last edited:

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Have you tried creating a new admin user? See if the problem persists on that account.
After fiddling with the terminal command to remove profiles I’ve figured it out and fixed it :p. Thanks for the help tho, I’ll edit the original thread to avoid confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.