Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Okay, I don't even know how to describe this, but I will do my best and go with the axiom that "a picture is worth a thousand words." I have a MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013) with 8 gigs of RAM and 500 GB SSD running OS X Yosemite (10.10.2). I am wirelessly connected to my HP LaserJet CM1415fnw multifunction printer. For some reason, when I look at the Printers & Scanners system preferences pane, the printer icon looks kind of jagged and pixelated, as in the photo below. It seems to be printing okay, the toner cartridges are all 70% and greater, the paper cartridge is full, and it works as well as ever. But it suddenly decided to look freakish as an icon. WHY? Does that mean anything ominous? Is there a setting on my printer (or my computer) I should be tweaking? Does this mean anything at all, or is it just another unexplainable thing on the Mac that doesn't have a good answer? Anyway, thank you all in advance for any insight.... :confused:

Attachments

• Printer.jpg
    Printer.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
I seriously doubt it's anything to worry about as you say it's working fine! But you could try downloading a new driver - maybe from the Apple support page - to see if that helps.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Thank you for the great advice! Actually, I ended up going to hp.com and downloaded the latest driver for the printer for Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). I think I had the Mavericks driver installed, and when I upgraded the OS, that's when the printer icon started looking weird. It would be nice if there would be a message of some sort telling me to update the driver, instead of just doing the cryptic morphing and pixelation of the icon! Well, I wouldn't have even thought of doing that if you didn't mention the driver thing...thanks again!

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
Glad to hear it's resolved and all it took was a nudge in the right direction! and thanks for taking the time to post... it helps the community and there's nothing more annoying than not knowing what solved a particular issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.