Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

llynx59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and I have noticed that suddenly I am almost out of storage. When I go to "About This Mac" I can see that my storage is mostly "System" and it's over 153 Gb!! I had this problem on an old laptop and I cannot remember how to fix it. I should say I am NOT a super technical person and I can't use code. Any help would be SUPER appreciated!!

Ramer

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and I have noticed that suddenly I am almost out of storage. When I go to "About This Mac" I can see that my storage is mostly "System" and it's over 153 Gb!! I had this problem on an old laptop and I cannot remember how to fix it. I should say I am NOT a super technical person and I can't use code. Any help would be SUPER appreciated!!
Do you have any anti-virus software installed? I had ESet installed when I ran into the same problem. It's not necessary on MacOS (lesson learned) and removing all traces gave me back almost 200 gbs.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Turn off Time Machine and delete all local backups.
Turn off cloud storage (if you have it on).
Turn off "hibernation" and get rid of the sleep image.

Reactions: jerryk

applebro

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I have the same issue. Tried all the suggested solutions and it's still over 150GB

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Turn off Time Machine and delete all local backups.
Turn off cloud storage (if you have it on).
Turn off "hibernation" and get rid of the sleep image.

I found with Time Machine, the best thing is to actually do the time machine backup, and after it completes, and the space is freed, turn it off.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

MikeCanuck

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Vancouver BC
[doublepost=1528991367][/doublepost]After hours of searching, the challenge is that every time you open your mail file, it accesses each of your email accounts and creates a log. First you need to clean it. I used CleanMyMac . Then you need to stop it from building back up. Go to MAIL then click on Window then Connection Doctor and UNCLICK Log Connection Activity. I went from 170GB to 40GB in System

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My problem turned out to be Carbon Copy Cloner's snapshots (which was not enabled by default, but I enabled)
The default retention policy meant my space kept shrinking until I was down to 5GB available
Once I found it and deleted the snapshots (and Time Machine snapshots) I regained 490GB on my 1TB drive

Typically the problem is TM local backups, so that definitely needs to be checked

I deleted tons of files to clear space but it did nothing to help
I downloaded DaisyDisk and it showed me the Hidden Files and led me to the Carbon Copy Cloner snapshots as my issue

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Where are iTunes/iPhone backups stored again? I can't remember if they are part of System Storage or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.