Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalquist26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Hey Everyone!

I'm very new to Mac's and I purchased my Mac Book Pro back in February but I just looked at my system storage for the first time and it's sitting at 143 Gigabytes! That doesn't seem normal to me. What do I need to do in order to fix this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That storage graphic gets data from the Spotlight index, and sometimes if the index is corrupt it will show a bad reading. Try running the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and see if that helps. Give it 30 minutes or so to complete.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

jalquist26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
That storage graphic gets data from the Spotlight index, and sometimes if the index is corrupt it will show a bad reading. Try running the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and see if that helps. Give it 30 minutes or so to complete.

I just tried it out. It only removed three Gigs. I check out the Time Machine thing as well and I don't even have that set up yet but I tried that code as well and go figure nothing happened. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.