Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNameSolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2021
Is there a way around to speed up the storage system calculate faster? I’ve tried cleaning up files and throwing them away, but still nothing makes the calculating go faster! I think I am giving up on this, unless someone can help...

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I assume you're talking about the "Storage" tab in the "About my Mac".

What Mac do you have, how big is your hard drive, and how much free space does it have? And how long have you left it "calculating" before giving up? My 500gb SSD on my Late-2016 13" MBP takes about 3-5 seconds to populate (have about 120gb free). But this can vary widely, especially based on the type of hard drive you have.

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
My 1TB SSD in a 2018 Mac Mini took 9 secs to display how the storage was allocated.

TheNameSolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2021

What Mac do you have, how big is your hard drive, and how much free space does it have? And how long have you left it "calculating" before giving up? My 500gb SSD on my Late-2016 13" MBP takes about 3-5 seconds to populate (have about 120gb free). But this can vary widely, especially based on the type of hard drive you have.
The free space I have is 15 - 19 gb.. I waited a hour for it to organize the file size and the bar just blinks every minute (at a slow pulse). My hard drive is SSD or I think it’s a Flash Drive.

TheNameSolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2021

The full computer size is 121 gb, and half of the big size is the “System”. I just don’t know how to make that shrink faster.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
What computer do you have? And what version of macOS are you running?

In terms of "System" size taking up a lot of space (somewhat separate issue of the "Storage" taking a long time to calculate), take a look at the below thread (and others like it, quite a few threads about size of "System" in Storage) - it can be a fairly common issue that users find the "System" taking up a lot more space than they would've thought. One of the things it often is is Time Machine caches - if you don't connect your drive / backup to Time Machine regularly, but you have it enabled, it can take up quite a bit of space. Given you only have 128gb storage (which is on the smaller side for sure), if System takes up a lot, I can see why it would be frustrating.

TheNameSolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2021
What computer do you have? And what version of macOS are you running?

In terms of "System" size taking up a lot of space (somewhat separate issue of the "Storage" taking a long time to calculate), take a look at the below thread (and others like it, quite a few threads about size of "System" in Storage) - it can be a fairly common issue that users find the "System" taking up a lot more space than they would've thought. One of the things it often is is Time Machine caches - if you don't connect your drive / backup to Time Machine regularly, but you have it enabled, it can take up quite a bit of space. Given you only have 128gb storage (which is on the smaller side for sure), if System takes up a lot, I can see why it would be frustrating.

How do I fix it than? Can you explain in steps for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.