Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hippiesrlame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Has anyone else noticed SystemMemoryReset happening when charging overnight in the analytic logs since iOS 16? It’s happened once for my wife’s iPhone 14 Pro once, but it happens most nights I’ve had mine. I never noticed this before on earlier version of iOS so trying to see if this is something others are also having. Not sure if there is a memory leak somewhere or what. I first noticed due to a disruption in my sleep tracking with AutoSleep and seeing the notification in the morning that my automations from shortcuts are enabled.

Analytics can be found in Privacy & Security -> Analytics & Improvements -> Analytics Data

Attachments

• D33A06D0-A6F3-4D58-901C-06F055F27F8D.jpeg
    D33A06D0-A6F3-4D58-901C-06F055F27F8D.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 462
Reactions: BriceApp

kullerhamPster

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
I‘m seeing this as well on my iPhone 14 Pro. I probably wouldn‘t even have noticed if the phone hadn‘t asked for the code one morning because of a restart.
The latest log file for such an event is from last night, but this morning, I wasn‘t asked for the code, so I‘m not even sure if this always leads to a reboot.

Reactions: Hippiesrlame

Hippiesrlame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
I‘m seeing this as well on my iPhone 14 Pro. I probably wouldn‘t even have noticed if the phone hadn‘t asked for the code one morning because of a restart.
The latest log file for such an event is from last night, but this morning, I wasn‘t asked for the code, so I‘m not even sure if this always leads to a reboot.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, regarding the prompt for PW/reboot: after 16.0.2 for me it hasn’t been an actual reboot and also not seeing the ResetCounter log alongside SystemMemoryReset anymore. It’s more of a minor nuisance now.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
I've had one each past couple nights with "largestProcess" being Maps and AppStore. Never experienced a reboot but Safari reloads every morning.

Reactions: Hippiesrlame

kullerhamPster

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, regarding the prompt for PW/reboot: after 16.0.2 for me it hasn’t been an actual reboot and also not seeing the ResetCounter log alongside SystemMemoryReset anymore. It’s more of a minor nuisance now.
The odd thing is that I have three log entries for a system memory reset, but only one ResetCounter log, which doesn’t match the time of any of the memory reset logs.

So I can’t even be sure if the reboot that seems to have happened overnight has to do with the system memory reset.

Hippiesrlame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
The odd thing is that I have three log entries for a system memory reset, but only one ResetCounter log, which doesn’t match the time of any of the memory reset logs.

So I can’t even be sure if the reboot that seems to have happened overnight has to do with the system memory reset.
Interesting. I’m not able to see my old ResetCounter log to try to match up the times as they must have been purged. As long as you’re not seeing any Panics, I’d wager this is iOS 16 bugginess. Gotta love x.0 releases 😆

Jgpsolo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
This still happens with 16.0.3 and now 16.1

I notice it's more likely to be an issue on days I've taken photos or added to my photo library. It also stops for a couple of nights after an iOS update, so I think it's relating to routine maintenance processes that happen when the phone is on a charger.

It didn't always correlate with a restart, but I have had the odd restart around the same time on previous iOS versions so I think the memory reset issue is probably related to the random overnight restart issue described elsewhere.

The only clue I get in the morning that a memory reset has happened is the notification from the shortcuts app "1 shortcut was enabled on your phone", which probably relates to iOS bringing my automations back online once it's recovered from the memory reset. I'm not asked for my passcode so it's not a full restart

What actually happens during a memory reset? Is it a re-spring where the apple logo briefly appears, or is a 'dark' process where you don't actually see any outward signs of iOS recovering? It's a bit annoying, particularly as I rely on my phone for on-call work overnight.

VincentVega22

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
Has anyone found a solution? My analytic data shows a SystemMemoryReset every night at 12:33am. I go to sleep with an earbud in on sleep timer. The reset is causing my bluetooth to disconnect and it wakes me up with an annoying "ready to pair" message in my ear. It's driving me nuts.

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
Has anyone found a solution? My analytic data shows a SystemMemoryReset every night at 12:33am. I go to sleep with an earbud in on sleep timer. The reset is causing my bluetooth to disconnect and it wakes me up with an annoying "ready to pair" message in my ear. It's driving me nuts.
Sounds like the problem is all in your head.

I’ll see myself out:)

Chinoo

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
My phone keeps restarting overnight, sometimes it also turns off the focus mode I have set from 10p-7am, the I wake up in the middle of the night with email notification sound, any suggestions??

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I'm seeing the exact same thing! I was wondering what was going on lately until I checked the logs and saw this... It happens almost weekly on my 13 since updating to iOS 16.

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
I’m also experiencing this on my iPhone 13 (non pro). This morning I noticed it asked me for the passcode because it had rebooted overnight (I was already on 16.1.2 so it couldn’t be a software update). After checking the battery charging log I noticed it had stopped reporting the charging level after around 2am which matches a SystemMemoryReset log in the analytics.
I also noticed it had around 4 or 5 more similar entries since early November, which is +/- when I updated to iOS 16, so it probably already did this a few other times, but must have thought that the other times it asked me for the passcode was because I was still half asleep and FaceID couldn’t recognise me.

Edit: updated to iOS 16.2 and still happening. But this time it didn’t ask me for the passcode and battery charging log didn’t stop reporting. But the SystemMemoryReset log entry is there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.