Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sledneck52

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Philly Area
If this is the wrong forum to post this, I apologize. I am a T-Mobile customer.
Since Sprint and Verizon iPhones have both CDMA & GSM built in with T-Mobile and Sprint merging, sprint customers can also use T-Mobile towers. T-Mobile & AT&T phones are GSM only. I am wondering if I purchased an unlocked iPhone, one that was made for CDMA would it work the other way too?
T-Mobile says no but I bet it’s because all T-Mobile phones currently only have GSM technology except for the new 5G Samsung. Has anyone experimented?

tim.engen

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
If this is the wrong forum to post this, I apologize. I am a T-Mobile customer.
Since Sprint and Verizon iPhones have both CDMA & GSM built in with T-Mobile and Sprint merging, sprint customers can also use T-Mobile towers. T-Mobile & AT&T phones are GSM only. I am wondering if I purchased an unlocked iPhone, one that was made for CDMA would it work the other way too?
T-Mobile says no but I bet it’s because all T-Mobile phones currently only have GSM technology except for the new 5G Samsung. Has anyone experimented?
GSM and CDMA are both died and have nothing to do with LTE or 5G so you will be fine. It will work on any network

Reactions: msp3

Sledneck52

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Philly Area
GSM and CDMA are both died and have nothing to do with LTE or 5G so you will be fine. It will work on any network
You’re right. My A1921 does have both technology’s built in or so the specs say.
Then it definitely is a T-Mobile thing. Years back, iPhone 4,4s, 5 & 5s had two different versions. I thought that was still the case with newer iPhones. ??‍♂️

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You’re right. My A1921 does have both technology’s built in or so the specs say.
Then it definitely is a T-Mobile thing. Years back, iPhone 4,4s, 5 & 5s had two different versions. I thought that was still the case with newer iPhones. ??‍♂️
Not so much anymore.

Regardless, CDMA is dead on the new T-Mob. There are going to be a lot of incentives to push former Sprint customers to new phones and that's because at some point T-Mobile is going to pull the plug on CDMA. I expect that to be sooner rather than later.

Verizon has already done so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.