Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I discovered that with the 200 MB free data plan if you put the SIM card in a different ipad it stops working. Takes you to the my tmobile website and claims that your bucket of data has expired. Customer care is clueless. Tried 3 times and I just get transferred around.

Anyone else have similar experience?

The loop hole for now is to cancel your account and deactivate from scratch in the new ipad. But eventually when tmobile decides no more free data (yes, it can happen at any time being that they're saying this is a promotional offer), we will be screwed when we get a new ipad or decide to put the sim in another tablet.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I discovered that with the 200 MB free data plan if you put the SIM card in a different ipad it stops working. Takes you to the my tmobile website and claims that your bucket of data has expired. Customer care is clueless. Tried 3 times and I just get transferred around.

The loop hole for now is to cancel your account and deactivate from scratch in the new ipad. But eventually when tmobile decides no more free data (yes, it can happen at any time being that they're saying this is a promotional offer), we will be screwed when we get a new ipad or decide to put the sim in another tablet.

It's meant for life of the device, not your life. So if you upgrade your device, and you are no longer using your old device, that was the lifespan of the promotional plan. It's not meant to be transferred from device to device. That's why the IMEI number is required.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
As easy as it is to get Tmobile SIMs for 99 cents shipped (or less), why would anyone move one between devices?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Yeah they pretty much stated it is for the life of your device... not the life of you... so you'd have to resubscribe with a new iPad... the deal IS a limited time (as stated) so I don't expect this to be around forever... choose wisely on your iPads... cause you won't get this deal forever.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
As easy as it is to get Tmobile SIMs for 99 cents shipped (or less), why would anyone move one between devices?

Yup, that's the best way to handle it. I used to have a nexus 4 on their $30/month plan (5gb data then throttled after that, unlimited texting, 100 minutes talking) and in theory you could not move the sim & plan to another device. But, nothing stopped you from buying another sim (often 99 cents or free and no shipping costs) and starting a new plan on a new device if you wanted to.

When they had a free sim special I ordered 3 of them (which was the max they allowed) and had them around as spares and/or to give to friends.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
What a hassle if you ever end up getting an iPad swapped for warranty purposes or when doing an AppleCare+ swap of a damaged iPad. I guess everyone should have a spare SIM handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.