Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I'm in the process of selling my iPad Mini + Cellular and currently have it listed on Craigslist.

I've been using it on the 200MB T-mobile free plan (It's actually a VZ iPad) that I enrolled in once they started offering it.

I know I can't take the SIM and put it in a different iPad if I buy one, but I was wondering if I can transfer the plan to the person I sell the iPad to?

I'm pretty sure I could just give them the iPad with the SIM in it and it would work for them, but the service would still be technically registered to me. Even though I don't have a credit card or other info associated with the account, I'd rather make sure it was in the new person's name. Is that possible? Has anyone else done it? Do you just go into the account settings at http://mim.t-mobile.com and update the user profile? It looks like it can be changed, but it also looks like it might want a credit card to be entered as well. I don't want to mess with it for fear of screwing up my plan, but was wondering if anyone has changed account ownership this way and passed the plan on to a new owner?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm in the process of selling my iPad Mini + Cellular and currently have it listed on Craigslist.

I've been using it on the 200MB T-mobile free plan (It's actually a VZ iPad) that I enrolled in once they started offering it.

I know I can't take the SIM and put it in a different iPad if I buy one, but I was wondering if I can transfer the plan to the person I sell the iPad to?

I'm pretty sure I could just give them the iPad with the SIM in it and it would work for them, but the service would still be technically registered to me. Even though I don't have a credit card or other info associated with the account, I'd rather make sure it was in the new person's name. Is that possible? Has anyone else done it? Do you just go into the account settings at http://mim.t-mobile.com and update the user profile? It looks like it can be changed, but it also looks like it might want a credit card to be entered as well. I don't want to mess with it for fear of screwing up my plan, but was wondering if anyone has changed account ownership this way and passed the plan on to a new owner?

Since it's free why not just tell the buyer he can go to T-Mobile and setup his own free 200MB service?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Since it's free why not just tell the buyer he can go to T-Mobile and setup his own free 200MB service?

Obviously they could do that, but it would be more of a hassle for them than just changing over the existing service if that could be done. I was hoping to advertise in my CL ad that the iPad will come with an Activated 200MB Free T-mobile plan. But I don't want to advertise that if I can't actually put the service in their name.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Who says you can't transfer it to a different device?

I have one of those 200MB a month free data SIMs, and I put it into my old iPhone 5 after upgrading to a 6.

It works. The iPhone has free data on it. I'm not using it much, and am going to sell that phone, but I was curious if it would work and it does....

So just move that sim to the other tablet and you should be set!

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I had heard of other people trying that and getting cut off once T-Mobile picked up a different IMEI accessing the service. Maybe that's not true?

Again I was looking at it more as something I could use to market my old iPad on CL. I actually have 3-4 new T-Mobile SIMs at home that I could always use to set up another cellular iPad if I decide to do so. However now that T-Mobile allows tethering on my $30 phone plan, I'll probably just get a wifi iPad in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.