Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Dude

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
I plan on the ATT model due to their upcoming data plan addition (3 month) but I'd love to have a T-Mobile Sim to throw in for the free data. Can I get a spare one from Apple when I pick up my iPad? Or will a T-Mobile store give me one if I visit a store?

Or should I just get the T-Mobile version since they are the same hardware and get an ATT Sim down the road? Our phones are with ATT so it shouldn't be an issue.

Federico

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
South Florida
I got a FreedomPop Mobile Hotspot device for $35 with 3GB the first month, then you can downgrade to 500mb for free (4G WiMax Sprint), or for $3.99 per month you can get the same 500mb but 3G/4G (Sprint network) ;). The 250mb great option.

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Florida :/
Does anyone know the pricing tiers for when you go over the 200mb?

Also, will tmobile automatically charge you for going over or will it let you know first?

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Hard cap on 200m free. Get a prompt to buy day/week/month passes or sign up for monthly plan.

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-overview

"Customers wanting more data can choose from a range of simple, affordable and flexible options – with no annual service contracts, no data overages and a blazing-fast nationwide 4G LTE network. T-Mobile offers daily, weekly and monthly options for adding 4G LTE data. For T-Mobile voice customers, ‘always-on’ iPad plans start at just $10 a month for unlimited data including 500 MB of 4G LTE data each month. Customers can add even more 4G LTE data in 2 GB increments for just $10 more per month. For customers who would rather have the flexibility of on-demand data, T-Mobile offers daily and weekly passes. Daily passses include unlimited data with 500 MB of 4G LTE data starting at just $5. The weekly passes inlcude unlimited data with 1 GB of 4G LTE data for $10. No caps. No overages. Just simple value."

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I'm really considering the iPad mini 2 on tmobile. I already have unlimited tethering on verizon iPhone 5 and may drop $199 down on 64gb mini 2 and just have 200mb just in times I don't feel like going thrust the motions to tether. I will check with mobile because I can pay off the iPad mini quicker than 24 months if they let me

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
If I buy a tmobile air from the apple store, will I have the free 200mb out of the box?

You will when you put a T-Mobile SIM in your iPad. These SIMs cost $10 from T-Mobile's website, but the free 200MB/Month plan doesn't start until 11/01. MacNN just posted an article with clarifying remarks from T-Mobile; like, once you hit 200MB, your speed will be downgraded to 2G, but you will not lose connectivity.

lls4f

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
United States
You will when you put a T-Mobile SIM in your iPad. These SIMs cost $10 from T-Mobile's website, but the free 200MB/Month plan doesn't start until 11/01. MacNN just posted an article with clarifying remarks from T-Mobile; like, once you hit 200MB, your speed will be downgraded to 2G, but you will not lose connectivity.

Is this true for those who do not have any t-mobile plans now? Or just for people with post-paid contracts? In other words, if I do the free 200mb with no contract and go over, do I get downgraded to 2G or do I get wifi only until a new month?

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013

Don't believe that's true. From listening to the T-Mobil twitter conference answering questions, they said when you hit the 200m limit you would get a page that prompted to buy a pass or sign up for a monthly plan.

The monthly plans have a soft limit.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Don't believe that's true. From listening to the T-Mobil twitter conference answering questions, they said when you hit the 200m limit you would get a page that prompted to buy a pass or sign up for a monthly plan.

The monthly plans have a soft limit.

This is what I read in the MacNN article:

The free 200MB 4G LTE data offer will be open to anyone with a tablet capable of connecting to T-Mobile, starting from November 1st. CMO Mike Sievert advised "You don't have to be a customer of ours at all. You don't have to have any kind of paying relationship with us at all" during an online press conference, continuing "We're just happy to give you 200MB of data for the life of that device as long as you own it." The website clarifies that the free data will be applied to anyone with an active Mobile Internet account on an eligible device, with users using up the entire allocation being downgraded to 2G speeds until the end of the billing cycle. Those requiring more data can buy daily, weekly, and monthly passes that provide extra allocations to the account.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/article...for.new.ipads.nexus.7.revealed/#ixzz2iZhloapl

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I was just looking at the new product build specs and T-Mobile is offering free Cellular service for iPad Air up to 200MB.

I'm shocked!

Smart move.

If t-mobile had good service running things like the way they are they would run the game!

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Wow that is half the price of att. This seals the deal I will get a tmobile iPad. I love the pass option as well. 90% of the time I have no use for mobile data but I travel often for work and pleasure. Not relying on crappy ezpensive hotel wifi would be a godsend.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Wow, I wasn't even considering a Cellular model for my new iPad, but I think I am going to pick up a Tmobile one. 200mb is plenty for me for the occasional moments when I need it, and the idea of still getting 2G data when you exceed the cap is very generous.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
I've been trying to read up more on the On Demand Data plan to qualify for the $0 down/24mos deal.

From what I've read, you either need to have the Simple Choice data plan or On-Demand Data plan to qualify to do the financing. If I sign up for On Demand, let them run my credit, but never use more than 200 mb/mo, would I qualify and just pay the monthly fee for the hardware?

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
If we get a Tmobile capable iPad, then find out we're not happy with Tmobile, can we switch to an AT&T data plan? Or are we stuck with Tmobile?

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
In seattle T-mo's coverage isn't too bad. I wish this applied to international data coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.