Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genstonewall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Is the T-Mobile 200 MB data plan for the iPad Air completely free? No one has mentioned if there is or isn't an activation fee, monthly fees and taxes? If someone who has this plan on their iPad Air can confirm? Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No fees or charges at all. It really is free, after the cost of a T-Mobile SIM card, but sometimes you can get those shipped for free from them as well.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Interesting. I wonder if that means life of the product or your actual human life. Because we all know 3-4 years into it, we're dumping our current iPads for a newer version.

I pretty much take it to mean "until we decide to stop."

But officially, it's the life of the product. The SIM will only work on the device it was activated on. If you get a new iPad you must get a new SIM (though if they still have the 200 MB for life promotion when you do get a new device, you can just sign up for it on there as well.

The strategy works. I was on 200MB for life, and it basically showed me that T-Mobile coverage is actually pretty good where i live and work and in most places I travel. So I ended up switching my phone over, too.

Also: if you end up getting a regular plan or your tablet, then the 200MB stays on top of you monthly plan. So if you get the 1GB monthly plan, you're really getting 1.2GB.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California

But officially, it's the life of the product. The SIM will only work on the device it was activated on. If you get a new iPad you must get a new SIM (though if they still have the 200 MB for life promotion when you do get a new device, you can just sign up for it on there as well.

The strategy works. I was on 200MB for life, and it basically showed me that T-Mobile coverage is actually pretty good where i live and work and in most places I travel. So I ended up switching my phone over, too.

Also: if you end up getting a regular plan or your tablet, then the 200MB stays on top of you monthly plan. So if you get the 1GB monthly plan, you're really getting 1.2GB.

Thanks for the clarification.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The same SIM cars can be reused in different devices for the same 200MB promotion, but it must first be deactivated by removing it via the online interface.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I moved a 200MB free data for life SIM from my iPad to an iPhone 5 and it worked (For data only though).

So no, it's not tied to the device. Or even the kind of device.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Is the T-Mobile 200 MB data plan for the iPad Air completely free? No one has mentioned if there is or isn't an activation fee, monthly fees and taxes? If someone who has this plan on their iPad Air can confirm? Thanks.

You do not need to even give T-Mobile your credit card info. There is no way for them to charge you. All they need if your name, email and zip code (to assign a phone number for your SIM).

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
I have had this plan for the last year on my iPad Mini...it is great! No fees or taxes at all. I am selling my iPad and have closed my account with T-Mobile, but the buyer wants me to include the original sim card....

...does anybody know why? I mean, is the 200mb of data tied to the original sim card?

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

I haven't found this to be true. I pulled the sim out of one ipad and it works great in another. The account information lies within the sim circuitry. Thats why you can use one card in multiple devices.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
So if I bought an iPad Mini Retina that says it supports Tmobile from Amazon all I need to do is go through the setup process and I get 200 mb a month at no charge at all?

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I also have the T-Mobile free 200mb plan and it works great. I get an e-mail every month telling me that my plan was refilled.

And you don't have to have phone service with them to get it? You just create a Tmobile account and keep taking the free data each month? If so, that sounds great to me. What happens when you hit the 200 meg max for the month? Do they require a credit card on file?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No phone service is needed for it. Once you hit the 200 free megabytes, it turns off until next month. You can still visit T-Mobile's page from the device, to buy more data if you want more.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
No phone service is needed for it. Once you hit the 200 free megabytes, it turns off until next month. You can still visit T-Mobile's page from the device, to buy more data if you want more.

Thanks. Sounds perfect for me. I'll see what Apple announces on Thursday and then buy accordingly.

One last question - does Tmobile's Music Unlimited work with this free data? I imagine no.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As long as the iPad has an unused or unactivated T-Mobile SIM card you can use it for the free 200MB promotion.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Both of those SIM cards will work. It only needs to be an unused, unactivated US T-Mobile SIM card. You can even use a prepaid BYOD SIM card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.