Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
When I go Tmo online to order a free or $.99 Micro SIM for an older iPad, it makes you choose a data plan, shows the monthly plan cost ($20 or so) but doesn't charge you for the plan.

Try here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

No mention of a plan when I've ordered. Just the sims.

Also, I strongly feel, with all this attention to the free 200 data, TMo will soon stop or severely limit allowing unlimited access to it for anyone who can pop in a fresh Tmo SIM...

When you pop in a fresh sim you have to activate it; I bet they limit you to one sim per IMEI unless you talk to customer service and have a good story. Just guessing, haven't tried it.

oripaamoni

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I picked up an iPad air on launch day from t-mobile and I was told that I would only have to pay the $20 for the first month and that I can cancel that after the first month keeping the free data and financing... I called them back today and they confirmed that I have to keep the $20/month. I asked if I could return it because I was mislead as to the terms and they tried to pin me with the $70 restocking fee. After some discussion with the manager they told me they would wave the restocking fee. I will be returning the iPad to T-Moblie tomorrow and picking up an AT&T Air and add it to my mobile share. Bummer.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
thanks ddawg. at this time it's not letting me finish the order.
Place Order button is pink, but not activating. first it said a 'problem with processor', and so I tried again, maybe lots of traffic?
finally went thru, Tmo is busy with all their new free customers..

Last edited:

seamusk

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Amazing people are complaining about a free data plan!

The complaint is that not everyone is getting the free data plan.

I just called and confirmed that I should be getting the free data without having to pay for a plan. She confirmed that I would get the free data and that I would not be charged for a plan but then she also said "free with the plan" twice. After the first time she said it I asked "So all I would owe is the ipad installment of ~$26 plus taxes" and she said yes. It's just confusing how she said it so it made me nervous after I hung up even they she explicitly confirmed that I would not owe anything for a data plan.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
thanks ddawg. at this time it's not letting me finish the order.
Place Order button is pink, but not activating. first it said a 'problem with processor', and so I tried again, maybe lots of traffic?

When I ordered a pair of free sims last week I had issues like that. After a couple tries it finally went through and the sims showed up today.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The complaint is that not everyone is getting the free data plan.

I just called and confirmed that I should be getting the free data without having to pay for a plan. She confirmed that I would get the free data and that I would not be charged for a plan but then she also said "free with the plan" twice. After the first time she said it I asked "So all I would owe is the ipad installment of ~$26 plus taxes" and she said yes. It's just confusing how she said it so it made me nervous after I hung up even they she explicitly confirmed that I would not owe anything for a data plan.

Indeed macrumors keeps telling us we cant get get 0%financing with free data and tmobile keeps telling me I get 0% financing with essentially free data (regulatory fees must be paid she told me $1.61 in addition to $26.25 for 24 mo's)

Daria

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Northern California
T-Mobile didn't lie; they're just unorganized ...

Indeed macrumors keeps telling us we cant get get 0%financing with free data and tmobile keeps telling me I get 0% financing with essentially free data (regulatory fees must be paid she told me $1.61 in addition to $26.25 for 24 mo's)

I'm finding this true, as well.:) I had a length conversation with a T-Mo Rep tonight with a similar result. My order is still 'in process' and I told the Rep about my concerns. According to the Rep (who had to go confer with his Supe. 5 separate times), what I'm seeing online at this point (the $36.25 instead of $26.25) is because my account is not yet activated. It can't be activated until I get the iPad and log onto the site for the process. This time they told me that the iPad is coming with the sim already in place.

Once again, the 200 MB Free for Life doesn't yet show up because the account isn't activated and the $10 for On Demand plan has to be there right now, because they can't cancel it before the account is activated.

Once yet again, after all this reminding on my part & conferring on their part, the final answer was that yes indeed, I will be getting the original deal which was agreed upon by the Rep who placed the order.

So at this point I just have to wait and. . . .trust that they will follow through with what they have verbally promised. I have no reason to believe at this point that they will *not* fulfill their advertised promise.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm finding this true, as well.:) I had a length conversation with a T-Mo Rep tonight with a similar result. My order is still 'in process' and I told the Rep about my concerns. According to the Rep (who had to go confer with his Supe. 5 separate times), what I'm seeing online at this point (the $36.25 instead of $26.25) is because my account is not yet activated. It can't be activated until I get the iPad and log onto the site for the process. This time they told me that the iPad is coming with the sim already in place.

Once again, the 200 MB Free for Life doesn't yet show up because the account isn't activated and the $10 for On Demand plan has to be there right now, because they can't cancel it before the account is activated.

Once again, after all this reminding on my part & conferring on their part, the final answer was that yes indeed, I will be getting the original deal which was agreed upon by the Rep who placed the order.

So at this point I just have to wait and. . . .trust that they will follow through with what they have verbally promised. I have no reason to believe at this point that they will *not* fulfill their advertised promise.

This is the same exact scenario I am in, to the T.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
We, perhaps, are Legion in total numbers :D

.Oddly though, to me they've never once mentioned the $1.61 issue!

I've heard someone else on here mention they were going to charge the regulatory fees based on the rebated $10 on demand plan too. One of my reps spoke of 'taxes' without citing the specific number and one cited ~$1.61. Either way, if its truly free or $1.61 / mo - I'll take it.

Daria

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Northern California
I've heard someone else on here mention they were going to charge the regulatory fees based on the rebated $10 on demand plan too. One of my reps spoke of 'taxes' without citing the specific number and one cited ~$1.61. Either way, if its truly free or $1.61 / mo - I'll take it.

You betcha!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Still, be sure to get everything in writing.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
BECAUSE the CEO and the press release stated "EVERYONE...no string attach..no exception"

Free is not free when a cost or payment is introduced.

Shouldnt the press release have read, "...200mb free for everyone EXCEPT new t-mobile customer who is financing"

No. 200mb is still available with no strings attached. You are just choosing to attach strings with the financing. EIP is a completely separate thing from the free 200mb.

Getintothegame

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Big Sky, MT
This is the same exact scenario I am in, to the T.

Exact same here. I've made the account rep add a note to the order to confirm.

It looks like those who ordered Friday (and maybe part of Saturday/Sunday?) who were able to select the "on demand" plan are able to get this fee waived...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Exact same here. I've made the account rep add a note to the order to confirm.

It looks like those who ordered Friday (and maybe part of Saturday/Sunday?) who were able to select the "on demand" plan are able to get this fee waived...

Seems so ordered by phone 1800tmobile (suggested by someone on here) saturday around 8 ET

Website was offering conflicting information at the time.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
My apology, after I read this thread and others I am still not 100% sure.

I never ever have any T-Mobile account, ATT unlimited plan here.

How can I get the free T-Mobile 200MB plan? Do I have to subscribe any base data plan first with T-Mobile? If so, how much per month? I'm thinking to just walk into Apple Store and buy one and walk out and hope I will have this 200MB monthly data plan in the iPad.

Please advice. Thank you!

bcooln

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Florida

I never ever have any T-Mobile account, ATT unlimited plan here.

How can I get the free T-Mobile 200MB plan? Do I have to subscribe any base data plan first with T-Mobile? If so, how much per month? I'm thinking to just walk into Apple Store and buy one and walk out and hope I will have this 200MB monthly data plan in the iPad.

Please advice. Thank you!
If you buy full price tmobile ipad, you will automatically get 200mb data for free. The only time yoi have to sign up for 10$ internet plan is when you are not a tmobile voice customer and try to buy finance ipad

seamusk

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
For what it's worth, I just received my i-pad from t-mobile. I set up my account online (couldn't actually do it on the ipad so not sure what's up there) and I have a balance of $10.33 due for recurring charges. So the assurance I got from the CSR was just nonsense. I'm calling tomorrow morning (can't today) to get this fixed. If they insist on the monthly recurring charge i'm going to buy outright. But i've heard they may still insist on monthly charge so returning the ipad is the other option. Not interested in the monthly plan at all or I would have signed up elsewhere to begin with.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

No worries, great that you made an effort.

The base data plan subscription is apparently required ONLY if you wish to finance an ipad through T-Mobile.

If you buy the ipad outright or finance it in some other way, no subscription required.

So your thought to walk into an Apple Store and buy a T-Mobile ipad will get you free 200MB data per month with no subscription required and no monthly cost required.

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
For what it's worth, I just received my i-pad from t-mobile. I set up my account online (couldn't actually do it on the ipad so not sure what's up there) and I have a balance of $10.33 due for recurring charges. So the assurance I got from the CSR was just nonsense. I'm calling tomorrow morning (can't today) to get this fixed. If they insist on the monthly recurring charge i'm going to buy outright. But i've heard they may still insist on monthly charge so returning the ipad is the other option. Not interested in the monthly plan at all or I would have signed up elsewhere to begin with.

let me ask ya, i had to do same thing..and charges showing same as well..but I still cant connect too cell data..i got two trouble tickets in and everything looks fine yet no data connects...are you able to connect cell wise?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I have a balance of $10.33 due for recurring charges. So the assurance I got from the CSR was just nonsense

Yuck. Hope you get it sorted out.

TMO's marketing / communications group really hosed this up bad, turning a great concept/idea into a real fiasco.

I love the 200MB free data thing since it's perfect for my wife. She has a wifi ipad2 and rarely wishes she had cellular data; 200MB/mo would be perfect for her usage.

----------

let me ask ya, i had to do same thing..and charges showing same as well..but I still cant connect too cell data..i got two trouble tickets in and everything looks fine yet no data connects...are you able to connect cell wise?

Hmm... seems like you have two free passes to return without restocking fee. Just sayin, a bit of "what good is a cellular ipad that won't connect!?" in-store should get results... :D

hlkc

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
If you buy full price tmobile ipad, you will automatically get 200mb data for free. The only time yoi have to sign up for 10$ internet plan is when you are not a tmobile voice customer and try to buy finance ipad

No worries, great that you made an effort.

The base data plan subscription is apparently required ONLY if you wish to finance an ipad through T-Mobile.

If you buy the ipad outright or finance it in some other way, no subscription required.

So your thought to walk into an Apple Store and buy a T-Mobile ipad will get you free 200MB data per month with no subscription required and no monthly cost required.

Thanks guys!

Last question, if I am going to pick up a ATT or Verizon cellular iPad, since it is one cellular model for all the iPad LTE model today, all I need is buying a Nano- T-Mobile sim card like this, plug it in and I will still have 200MB free data plan per month from T-Mobile, right?

notmenwohere

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
AND some people out there still dont think this is false advertisement???

They fully intended to advertised it that way.

I dont know where John J Leger come from, but free is not free when a cost is introduced, regardless of financing or not. When you say "FREE, no exception, no string attach", then one should be able to conclude that there is indeed no exception, no string attach, and FREE.

But it is not the case, everyone gets 200mb "EXCEPT" new financing customer. T-mobile should have advertised this way.

Getintothegame

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Big Sky, MT
Guys, I think this trumps everything. You may have to call the 800 number, but T-Mobile is making this right with those who purchased with the $10 plan:

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1872166&highlight

Q. What was the $10.00 per month fee we heard about on launch day?
A. We had an executional error in our system at launch that created an erroneous $10.00 charge for network access. We have worked in the days since launch to correct this issue in the system and through employee training. There is no $10.00 per month fee for the 200MB of free data. We are crediting any customer that was erroneously charged this fee.

I am pleased. This is in writing, and it's also in most of our accounts - at least those who have already called.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.