Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm on an LG G2 at the moment and thinking of going to the 5s because of a very frustrating issue.

Seems that if I download anything that is large (about 50mb or over) on LTE, it will go pretty fast (will download about half) before it slows down to literally a few kb per second.

Anyone experiencing this with the 5s?

T-Mobile only, please.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I have an iPhone 5 with T-Mobile and LTE has been fantastic with it and my unlimited data/tethering included with my plan. I've streamed Netflix to my wifi iPad with no troubles at all. 5 or 5S, sure there's a big leap in performance but with your current phone, it may be the hardware getting too hot and slowing the connection (does it read 4G or EDGE?) or it may be related to your service plan or poor signal

I don't know much at all about your phone, so much of this is theory. My iPhone gets quite warm when used as a mobile hotspot, but never had my speed suddenly drop at all.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
good thing about t-mobile is they are saying you only have 2.5gb mobile hotspot but you know im on my 19gb on this month for mobile hotspot and i dont notice any slowdown

Takenlife

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
good thing about t-mobile is they are saying you only have 2.5gb mobile hotspot but you know im on my 19gb on this month for mobile hotspot and i dont notice any slowdown

hahaha.

oh yeah what about overage charge?

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
hahaha.

oh yeah what about overage charge?

Tmobile doesn't have overage charges; at least for the newer simple choice plans.

When i do a speedtest, sometimes it will hit 30-40Mbps for the first 90% of the test and then drop all of the sudden.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Tmobile doesn't have overage charges; at least for the newer simple choice plans.

When i do a speedtest, sometimes it will hit 30-40Mbps for the first 90% of the test and then drop all of the sudden.

Not sure why, but I have had this happen with AT&T while on LTE as well. AT&T seems much worse with this.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the same thing happens to me using a nexus 5 on t-mobile. sometimes i'll be updating an app or downloading a podcast, and the first couple megabytes will go quick as expected but then crawl to just a couple kb/s. frustrating. it isn't all the time either. just yesterday, i downloaded a couple hundred megabytes in podcasts like it was nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.