Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
So I just so happened to finally check to see if MMS worked on my iPhone while using T-Mobile on it and guess what, It works!!

I am running iOS 6 beta 1 on an officially unlocked iPhone 4.

I added the regular setting to my cellular data section in the setting and now it works!

Thank you :apple:!

------

Also I hated the idea of doing that backup hack to fix it. I actually was thinking of switching back to AT&T just because of SMS. Well considering it, I like T-mobile. For some reason in my house only I get little to no service in my house. Whats the point of having a iPhone and you cant even use it to talk on in your own home?

Another this is my 3G on T-mobile works too. I get about 3.7mbps down and 1.14 up. When I first connected I got up to 6mbps down but when I checked just now the highest I got was 3.7. Just some info I thought I would spread with the forum. I normally dont post much so thought I'd say something useful when I do.

Ohhh just remembered. The last thing I need them to fix is iMessage. I don't like how they need to use a international number to verify my number. So I cant use that new unified message feature that iOs 6 uses. Hopefully they'll change it in the new betas.
Basically right now my phone number wont tie to the iMessage account so I have to use my email to even iMessage!

Feel free to comment and let me know if this works now for you.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Yea that is what he said, he gets 3G service on tmobile. Tmobile is reframing their cellular towers from 1700Mhz to 1900Mhz frequencies in order to make their HSPA/3G service compatible with a variety of more devices (including the iPhone). Check online about this new reframing process.

PS: they are referring to the process as "refarming"

PaulDoFish

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Wow cool!! though I just tried enabling 3G on my factory unlocked 3GS but still getting no service... guess t-mobile hasn't rolled out their new network in here Southern California yet :(

But this is exciting news. I wonder why i havent heard this yet lol

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
Wow, I thought more people would be excited about finally being able to receive picture messages! But 3G is also a big deal.
They only have one tower near my house that suports 3G. when I go far out I go back to edge.
Luckily the 3G tower is about a block away from my house, and I still get it at my place of work.

Also I thought I read somewhere that T-mobile should have all towers 3G capable by the end of the year. I think it was on Macrumors.

But back to my post. Picture messages finally work on T-mobile on iOS 6!

jdlorinser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Wow, I thought more people would be excited about finally being able to receive picture messages! But 3G is also a big deal.
They only have one tower near my house that suports 3G. when I go far out I go back to edge.
Luckily the 3G tower is about a block away from my house, and I still get it at my place of work.

Also I thought I read somewhere that T-mobile should have all towers 3G capable by the end of the year. I think it was on Macrumors.

But back to my post. Picture messages finally work on T-mobile on iOS 6!

What settings did you use?

olhafer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
So I just so happened to finally check to see if MMS worked on my iPhone while using T-Mobile on it and guess what, It works!!

I am running iOS 6 beta 1 on an officially unlocked iPhone 4.

I added the regular setting to my cellular data section in the setting and now it works!

Thank you :apple:!

------

Also I hated the idea of doing that backup hack to fix it. I actually was thinking of switching back to AT&T just because of SMS. Well considering it, I like T-mobile. For some reason in my house only I get little to no service in my house. Whats the point of having a iPhone and you cant even use it to talk on in your own home?

Another this is my 3G on T-mobile works too. I get about 3.7mbps down and 1.14 up. When I first connected I got up to 6mbps down but when I checked just now the highest I got was 3.7. Just some info I thought I would spread with the forum. I normally dont post much so thought I'd say something useful when I do.

Ohhh just remembered. The last thing I need them to fix is iMessage. I don't like how they need to use a international number to verify my number. So I cant use that new unified message feature that iOs 6 uses. Hopefully they'll change it in the new betas.
Basically right now my phone number wont tie to the iMessage account so I have to use my email to even iMessage!

Feel free to comment and let me know if this works now for you.

what settings did you have to change in order to get the mms to work?

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've tested and used these settings on an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S with T-Mobile and MMS works every time.

Cellular Data
APN: internet2.voicestream.com
Username
Password

MMS
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Username
Password
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
MMS Max Message Size: 614400
MMS UA Prof URL: http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/W800iR101.xml

Internet Tethering
Username:
Password:

I'm currently running iOS 5.1.1 on a factory unlocked iPhone 4S. Haven't updated to iOS 6 yet because as of now I can't find anyway to activate iMessage and Facetime without jailbreaking so I'm waiting for an iOS 6 jailbreak to be released first.

JuneBugg

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
New York
APN Settings, i

I've tested and used these settings on an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S with T-Mobile and MMS works every time.

Cellular Data
Username
Password

MMS
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Username
Password
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
MMS Max Message Size: 614400
MMS UA Prof URL: http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/W800iR101.xml

Internet Tethering
Username:
Password:

I'm currently running iOS 5.1.1 on a factory unlocked iPhone 4S. Haven't updated to iOS 6 yet because as of now I can't find anyway to activate iMessage and Facetime without jailbreaking so I'm waiting for an iOS 6 jailbreak to be released first.

I am currently on iOS 6 (unlocked [AT&T sanctioned] with T-Mobile) and have both FaceTime & iMessage activated w/o a jailbreak. What kind of plan do you have?

I also tried the apn settings quoted above and it worked with an iMessage (failed but sent as a text message) but not as a standalone text message...do you know why that might be?

Please assist if possible...

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I am currently on iOS 6 (unlocked [AT&T sanctioned] with T-Mobile) and have both FaceTime & iMessage activated w/o a jailbreak. What kind of plan do you have?

I also tried the apn settings quoted above and it worked with an iMessage (failed but sent as a text message) but not as a standalone text message...do you know why that might be?

Please assist if possible...

I'm on the Value 500 Min plan with 2GB 4g data.
When you tried to send an mms without iMessage was the camera icon grayed out or were you able to select it?

Also for your FaceTime and iMessage activation did you just go into settings and toggle the on button to get them to activate? Mine would just stay on 'waiting for activation' and send an international text which charged to my account but still didn't activate so I had to jailbreak. Would love to update to ios 6 but don't want to lose iMessage.

JuneBugg

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
New York
The MMS settings worked out after all :) I went back and double checked what I typed in and there were one or two things missing. But thanks sooo much!!

In regards to iMessage & FaceTime... I didn't really have to mess with the settings. As soon as I signed in with my apple ID after the iOS 6 install, I received a notification that a text would be sent in order for iMessage/FaceTime to activate and that fees may apply and it's been working since...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.