Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
So I have an update to all of this Post Paid drama with Chat, 611 and the like. As many here, I failed at that attempt, so here is what I just did today.

I am traveling for the holidays up in MI. There is a local store where I actaullly uponed my accounts from this year and the guys in there are totally awesome tech geeks like many here.

So I go in, talk to a few of the guys and say- yo so here’s the deal, I want to activate my eSim, yada yada...
3 of them (there were 5 working today :)) say oh yeah we got you. All three had them activated themselves already.

15 min later, I walked out good to go- and giving them high fives and holiday cheers.

Thanks to the boys @ Woodward Ave in Birmingham MI- they rock

so pro tip- go to a store that has some workers that actually get Sh&* done, and they will hook you up.

bweb79

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2018
I just followed the instructions on the first page and did it through the T-mobile app as explained. Rep gave me the line about not being supported yet. I said I was aware of that and to make the swap anyway. He did so right away. I know have my eSIM as T-mobile and my SIM with Verizon for my work phone.

Works great. The only issue I have is all my contacts are now listed as using my personal number. I need to find a way of changing all of those to use my business line as default. Also, I can't use iMessage with my Business line. Only regular text and voice.

EDIT: I did have to do steps 9 and 10
9. Launch the Settings app, then Cellular, Add Cellular Plan, then Enter Details Manually.
10. Enter the SM-DP+ Address: cust-005-v4-prod-atl2.gdsb.net

linrubmcq

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2018
Has anyone tested T-Mobile esim outside of US? I’m visiting Korea next month and am trying to decide whether I should manually move my postpaid plan to esim and use a prepaid Korean SIM card so I can use LTE in Korea while also getting all my US calls/texts. Or should I just stick to 2 phones, one for each SIM card lol Any inputs would be appreciated

Reactions: NeshyD

NeshyD

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Has anyone tested T-Mobile esim outside of US? I’m visiting Korea next month and am trying to decide whether I should manually move my postpaid plan to esim and use a prepaid Korean SIM card so I can use LTE in Korea while also getting all my US calls/texts. Or should I just stick to 2 phones, one for each SIM card lol Any inputs would be appreciated

I actually had my eSIM activated while abroad here in Dubai last week. Process went smooth and I’ve been using the local SIM (Etisalat) here along with my T-Mobile eSIM without issue. As soon as I popped in the local SIM it recognized the secondary SIM and the two signal bars showed up. I chose to have my T-Mobile service as primary for everything (iMessage/FaceTime included) while choosing to use the local SIM just for LTE data.

So far I’ve had no issues! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Reactions: George Knighton

Eno76

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2018
The costumer services ask if is a fisical sim. I said yes and he did the swap. Thqn activation was easy , same leaving blank the activation code! Thanks guys! Exellent trick
I went thru chat and made this same mistake.. when I told her it was eSIM she said they were not supported. I asked her to activate it anyway as a normal SIM card and I would handle the rest. She wouldn't do it so I asked if I could be connected to a different rep.

The second rep told me the same thing, I said I understand it isn't officially out yet but that it will work and I just need her to please swap my SIM card. She went ahead and did it for me.

For the Add Cellular plan part I had to leave the confirmation number blank to activate.

So I'm golden.
to me the

Eno76

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2018
The costumer services ask if is a fisical sim. I said yes and he did the swap. Thqn activation was easy , same leaving blank the activation code! Thanks guys! Exellent trick
to me the

By the Way, I am in Italy currently so did it here with no problems.

g1sdaname

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Marietta, GA
I just did it and they told me no at first then I said I would really appreciate it if they did it anyway because is was going out of country and needed to free up my sim slot, which is true. I said I would assume any risk of issues. She said she would notate our agreement and proceeded to complete the change. Sweet!

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I just did it and they told me no at first then I said I would really appreciate it if they did it anyway because is was going out of country and needed to free up my sim slot, which is true. I said I would assume any risk of issues. She said she would notate our agreement and proceeded to complete the change. Sweet!

What method did you use? The URL code in the SM-DP+ Address line?

In the T-Mobile Support forums, there are people claiming that the QR code and URL no longer work, but your experience might indicate the contrary.

Sometimes in those support forums, I get the feeling we are being trolled.

I've been using my T-Mobile postpaid eSIM for quite some time now, with no problems at all, and the Support person was not the least bit resistant to helping.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
tried several times last week to no avail. i figured that after all of the activations they were all instructed not to activate any postpaids and that I may just have to wait until they officially roll out esim for postpaid.

but figured i'd give it one more shot today, this is what the rep wrote:

Thanks, Alex! Working on that now! I do have to let you know that technically, this technology is only available for prepaid right now so it is possible that you might run into problems with the phone under the esim so just keep your external sim just in case we need to switch it back until this officially rolls out.

i'm a happier customer today than i was yesterday)

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
tried several times last week to no avail. i figured that after all of the activations they were all instructed not to activate any postpaids and that I may just have to wait until they officially roll out esim for postpaid.

but figured i'd give it one more shot today, this is what the rep wrote:

Thanks, Alex! Working on that now! I do have to let you know that technically, this technology is only available for prepaid right now so it is possible that you might run into problems with the phone under the esim so just keep your external sim just in case we need to switch it back until this officially rolls out.

i'm a happier customer today than i was yesterday)

So you used the URL method to get your eSIM?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I have had my main T-Mobile plan on eSIM for a while.

What I was after was finding somebody who had used the URL method very recently, in order to contradict rumors on support forums that the technique no longer worked.

:)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I just got an XS Max as a gift and was wondering if I should do this.... Is there any coverage advantage to using eSim? I have no need to use a second sim card since everywhere I travel T-mobile has free text and data roaming and coverage always serves my needs.... So I guess my question is does eSim provide faster speeds, better network coverage, or anything like that, which would compel someone with no need for dual sim cards to activate?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I just got an XS Max as a gift and was wondering if I should do this.... Is there any coverage advantage to using eSim? I have no need to use a second sim card since everywhere I travel T-mobile has free text and data roaming and coverage always serves my needs.... So I guess my question is does eSim provide faster speeds, better network coverage, or anything like that, which would compel someone with no need for dual sim cards to activate?

I noticed eSIM has faster download speed and I was able to get up 124 mbps in certain area in SF. When using Speedtest app, you will notice the download speed steadily rise higher. Using the SIM card, normally the download speed would just shoot up high but I never got anything that high before.

Reactions: bigjnyc

econrads024

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
Lebanon, TENNESSSEE
I am leasing my iPhone through T-Mobile’s jump on demand... if I switch my T-Mobile service to the esim am I able to add another physical sim or is the phone still locked till it’s paid off?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I am leasing my iPhone through T-Mobile’s jump on demand... if I switch my T-Mobile service to the esim am I able to add another physical sim or is the phone still locked till it’s paid off?
You can only use dual SIM of the same carrier until your device is paid off and unlocked.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099

don't shoot me if this isn't accurate, but i'm pretty sure you can ask t-mobile to unlock your phone. tell them that you'll be traveling to one of the countries where they don't offer roaming and would really appreciate them letting you use a local carrier. worth a shot, no?)

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
don't shoot me if this isn't accurate, but i'm pretty sure you can ask t-mobile to unlock your phone. tell them that you'll be traveling to one of the countries where they don't offer roaming and would really appreciate them letting you use a local carrier. worth a shot, no?)

T-Mobile is a little more liberal with unlocking than other providers.

Their Android phones bought through T-Mobile even come with an application preinstalled to unlock the device, either temporarily for travel, or permanently after a year's ownership.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
T-Mobile is a little more liberal with unlocking than other providers.

Their Android phones bought through T-Mobile even come with an application preinstalled to unlock the device, either temporarily for travel, or permanently after a year's ownership.

that's what i thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.