Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decon1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I have a 32G Verizon iPad mini retina and put in the Tmobile SIM. Works fine, it was the nano phone SIM not the mobile data SIM. Not sure if there is a difference between the two.

Tmobile created a phone number for the iPad mini retina on that SIM.

What would happen if I used another nano SIM in the same iPad?

Is the IMEI already tied up with the first SIM?

Ctguy

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
I have Verizon iPad mini with tmobile nano sim and tmobile iPad air, I tried to put tmobile nano sim from Verizon iPad mini into iPad air, it doesn't work.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I have a 32G Verizon iPad mini retina and put in the Tmobile SIM. Works fine, it was the nano phone SIM not the mobile data SIM. Not sure if there is a difference between the two.

Tmobile created a phone number for the iPad mini retina on that SIM.

What would happen if I used another nano SIM in the same iPad?

Is the IMEI already tied up with the first SIM?

You will be fine. The rMini is unlocked. Put in new sim, power off and on, and you are good to go. With ios 7, the APN update when switching nano sims is automatic. Your IMEI is not tied up to that sim. Now if you had a t mobile rMini and tried putting in a verizon sim, you would need to call verizon to add the IMEI to their database. Verizon is still a bit backwards.

erio

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2004
I have Verizon iPad mini with tmobile nano sim and tmobile iPad air, I tried to put tmobile nano sim from Verizon iPad mini into iPad air, it doesn't work.

I tried the other way around, iPad Air to iPad Mini Retina — didn't work. Luckily, I had another T-Mobile nano sim and it worked. I think the sim card gets attached to which iPad used for activation. :confused:

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
You will be fine. The rMini is unlocked. Put in new sim, power off and on, and you are good to go. With ios 7, the APN update when switching nano sims is automatic. Your IMEI is not tied up to that sim. Now if you had a t mobile rMini and tried putting in a verizon sim, you would need to call verizon to add the IMEI to their database. Verizon is still a bit backwards.

So is the Air not unlocked? I'm trying to decide between the two. Unlocked would be a pretty good reason to go with a rMini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.