Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
i use T-Mobile wifi back in my home network plenty, even if I have no T-Mobile service, it uses the wifi to send texts and make calls. Now I'm visiting my family back home and it's not working, I'm connected to wifi but the "T-Mobile wifi" isn't showing in the corner of the screen where it usually does. I also tried sending texts with no service and it didn't work.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 651

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
i use T-Mobile wifi back in my home network plenty, even if I have no T-Mobile service, it uses the wifi to send texts and make calls. Now I'm visiting my family back home and it's not working, I'm connected to wifi but the "T-Mobile wifi" isn't showing in the corner of the screen where it usually does. I also tried sending texts with no service and it didn't work.

I believe you have to have at least minimum T-Mobile service in order to use T-Mobile WiFi. How is your iPhone supposed to know what service there is if you have no service as indicated on your phone? I can't test this on my phone because T-Mobile service is strong in and around my home and generally throughout my area.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
try updating the 911 address

check to make sure VoLTE is enabled

reseat the sim card
do this where you have coverage

turn off iPhone
remove sim card
wait 2 minutes

turn on iPhone
wait for the phone to boot up
unlock iPhone
wait for iPhone to be at the home screen and say no sim

insert sim card

let it to do its searching..

this should fix it

i don't think the t-mobile service answer that chscag said was correct. i think that would affect activating the phone for the first time

whenever you have issues with wifi calling make sure you wait 2 minutes or longer, because it takes a while for wifi calling to become enabled. especially when you activate wifi calling on other devices, it takes 2 minutes or so.

i saw a chart that said old plans don't get wifi calling, but i think that policy no longer exists.

i would try updating the 911 address and then waiting 5 minutes to give it time for wifi calling to show up

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
  • Extends coverage in areas where no cellular network reaches
that is what t-mobile says, so even if you have no service it should still work
its probably the 911 address

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I just checked this with T-Mobile and you're right. It also reminded me to update my 911 address. :)

once the iPhone's 911 address is entered, and wifi calling is enabled, it no longer requires to be powered on, and you can place or receive calls on other devices, hahaha

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
once the iPhone's 911 address is entered, and wifi calling is enabled, it no longer requires to be powered on, and you can place or receive calls on other devices, hahaha

I wonder though, if like the OP, you move or go somewhere and there is no signal and it's not your 911 address, does that mean you have to update the 911 address to that where you're currently located?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder though, if like the OP, you move or go somewhere and there is no signal and it's not your 911 address, does that mean you have to update the 911 address to that where you're currently located?

once i tell it my 911 address and connect to wifi calling on the iPhone
i can turn off the iPhone and take my ipad to another wifi hotspot and make calls
i think I'm supposed to update the 911 address on the ipad , in this situation but i havent done that
yet..

i just made calls.

it didn't always work on the first try. i usually have to wait a few minutes after turning off the iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.