Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
I am on a robotics team with the school with affiliation with FIRST. Our team name is NIRD, which is an acronym. I designed a shirt for the team as a parody of the design from an old NERD candy box.

Any idea about the legality of using a parody of a NERDS box design on a t-shirt that will be worn by a team?
(first one is the design I made, second is an actual nerd candies box)

Attachments

• nirdss.jpg
    nirdss.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 25893-large.gif
    25893-large.gif
    48.7 KB · Views: 401

Vader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
I emailed Nestle on the subject, and I got a reply with an address that I need to mail my letter to via snail mail!!!!!

I need to order these shirts like yesterday, so I just wonder if anyone knows if it is illegal to purchase these as a team shirt.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Just my opinion, but i think a HS robotics is most likely under the radar of Nestle. My fraternity did a spoof on the Barqs rootbeer can and had no problems. Just dont sell the shirts for profilt like iMeowbot said.

Nice design too, btw.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
thats awesome lol.. im in robotics class too.. btw, what type of robots you making?? Were doing desktop navs, collision avoidance, line followers, and dance.. incorporated into one robot..

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
The firm I share space with (and do a lot of work with) designed that Wonka logo and some of the packaging, maybe even that one. Check it out

http://sagon-phior.com/portfolio_d.php?cat=1&ID=2

I have no idea about the full legality of that but I very sure the design firm (the head guy is a close friend) and pretty sure Nestle would not sue you over a design take off on a non profit team shirt. If you were using their exact design and selling the shirts world wide you would have something to worry about.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Thanks for the compliments on the design. I think I will go ahead with ordering them. I am going to get them from Zazzle. They use ink instead of silk screening, so it is only $15 per shirt with as much and as many colors on there as I want.
Anyone know anything about Zazzle? I think I heard about them on the news, but I can't remember.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Cool shirt. I recently talked to a t-shirt making place that I live across the street from and the word from them is as long as it's small scale and you're not selling them, even just straight copyright infringement isn't really a big deal. So I really wouldn't worry about that at all.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Ironic, I'm on a FIRST team as well! Only made more ironic because in this thread, the "graphic" I mention is my teams shirt logo!

Actually, I'm headed back to school in a little bit to work on it (we're staying everyday this week until 9PM) with the team. Fun stuff, and it's amazing to see how things come along. I've been involved in robotics competitions for almost 4 years now. First I did BotBall in middle school, last year we did the SavageSoccer Vex kits, and this year, we did Vex and now FIRST.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
My thinking is that your shirt is a parody of an original work and that falls under fair use (i.e. the same way Weird Al can write songs that sound a lot like the original artists' work).

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
notjustjay said:
My thinking is that your shirt is a parody of an original work and that falls under fair use (i.e. the same way Weird Al can write songs that sound a lot like the original artists' work).
That's a copyright thing. Nerds is a trademark.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
That article scares me.
My brother is going to talk to some people he knows, and then I have to take it up with the school weirdo (I mean computer guy).

myshoeshurt

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
I don't think you'll have a problem. You didn't alter the original logo, you reconstructed something similar (REALLY similar)... and besides, you aren't profiting from it, or defaming the product or Nestle. If I worked for Nestle, I'd just find it cool :)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Vader, look at this another way, it's really bad press for a big company like that to go around suing 17 year olds over a team shirt. If they were going to that, they would have to have a very very good reason. I would not worry about it.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Full out FIRST robotics, like a real robot, 120 lbs of metal and whatnot.
It is our schools first year in it, and my first time doing anything more than playing with LEGO Mindstorms at my house.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
notjustjay said:
Umm... Wierd Al clears publishing on all of his parody songs before releasing them, not a good example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.