Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totalshock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Tarana (to locals...)
Anyone have any luck getting their T616 set up as a Bluetooth modem with their carrier, particuarly if that carrier is Fido here in Canada?

I've just got a T616, and got it synching no problems.

But I can't seem to dial directly from Address Book via Bluetooth with it. The option is there on the pulldown menu to "dial with T616," but it seems to be permantently greyed out. Any hints on how to get this to work?

Also, I'm having some trouble getting it to act as a Bluetooth modem, either GPRS or GSM using my existing dial-up account. Anyone with experience setting up their Mac with Fido would be helpful.

Having the same troubles with connecting to the Internet via my Tungsten T3. Although, I can dial from the address book on the Palm through the phone.

Any help with any of these issues would be most appreciated.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Re: T616 + Fido + Mac

Originally posted by Totalshock
Anyone have any luck getting their T616 set up as a Bluetooth modem with their carrier, particuarly if that carrier is Fido here in Canada?

I've just got a T616, and got it synching no problems.

But I can't seem to dial directly from Address Book via Bluetooth with it. The option is there on the pulldown menu to "dial with T616," but it seems to be permantently greyed out. Any hints on how to get this to work?

Also, I'm having some trouble getting it to act as a Bluetooth modem, either GPRS or GSM using my existing dial-up account. Anyone with experience setting up their Mac with Fido would be helpful.

Having the same troubles with connecting to the Internet via my Tungsten T3. Although, I can dial from the address book on the Palm through the phone.

Any help with any of these issues would be most appreciated.

Fido ... RUN ... RUN as fast as you can ... away from FIDO ...

i'm not sure if many of our Internet providers are GSM compatible here in the GTA ...

Jagga

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2003
hamilton
sources....

Fido is the premier leader in North America for GSM/GPRS bar NONE. for the whole year of 2001 they had the cheapest rates, and in early 2002 February, they had MMS working!!! as For Rogers AT&T they advertised that they were the first this summer 2003, but had to shut down their MMS because it barely worked, pissing off all of their early adopting clients, and because they truely didn't know what they were doing - they really shouldn't have left Ericsson as they network system providers and went with Motorola. I know this first hand, because while I worked for Rogers AT&T wireless in April to December 2001 I got to test their GPRS network for free and it had serious holes that till today are still not fixed. They didn't get MMS solved until Late fall this year.

Fido's network is actually open. Try getting your mac to sync with T68i instead of telling it T616 ven though your T616 is what your truely using. If that fails try checking out a search at this site http://www.esato.com their are SOnyEricsson fanatics their. some mac users there may be able to help you out.

Fido may not be as big as Rogers but their network is a TRUE GSM/GPRS not a software upgrade from TDMA that Rogers is using.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Rogers has the best phones
Fido has the best rates and the new $40 plan is HOT!
Telus, though, has the BEST reception, but the worst phones.

They all have their ups and downs. However, I have Telus...Reception comes first for me..But the Motorola V60 is sleek, so its all good. Matches my car..and I guess..The mac..since it is silver and black :D

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I'm with bell and i have their new LG phone ... works great ... it's all digital and works everywhere my Fido didn't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.