Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torodd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
One more thing regarding tablet rumors.

My wild, wild guess is that the new tablet will include some kind of apple tv-functionality. At least it will be possible to use it as a TV-remote. At best it will be kind of a portable Apple TV. If the tablet includes ATV-functionality, and if print-media access also is included, then finally Apple will be in a position to become the hub of our digital lives.

For many years Apple inc has tried to become the hub of our digital lives. And for many years Apple and a lot of other people thought that this was a hardware-question. But in recent years, with the development of iTunes, appstore etc, it has become increasingly clear that this is more of a content-question i.e. a digital ecosystem-question.

What apple needs and what they are no doubt working to fulfill, is a comple content-system. In order to be complete a content-system must deliver at least the following five kinds of content:
  • Music
  • Software
  • Print-media like magazines and books
  • Internet
  • Movies and series

Apple allready has music, software, internet and according to rumors printed media will come along with the tablet. Apple also has movies, but the movie-business of apple resides in the darkness of the ATV-hobby.

I think the tablet will be a success. But in order to make it a an absurdly huge success, Apple needs to do two things:
1. Make their content-system complete
2. Make the tablet a convenient and portable piece of hardware for accessing all elements in this system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.