Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBPro825

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I do not know if other people have suggested this or not, but why don't newspaper companies (New York Times, Chicago Tribune, any sort of newspaper actually) put their newspapers on iTunes. 99 cents an issue or something. They could sell adds. With the expected Apple Tablet coming out more people could potentially participate in that kind of market. eBooks aren't exactly "extremely popular" and almost everyone buys a newspaper at least once and a while. While people get a lot of their news from internet sites I know, it could be a potential market? What are your thoughts.

(P.S. I did not know if this should be put under the computer industry section or not so I decided to put it under the Apple Tablet which seemed most relevant to the thought)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
There's already a free NYT app for the iPhone/iPod touch, and those newspapers who do want to charge users (like the WSJ) have done so. NYT is free to read on traditional computers already as well.

I don't see what the advantage of an iTunes version of a newspaper would be over what's available, but apparently a lot of publications are developing subscription-based services for the Tablet. So basically what you are suggesting has been in the works for months, if not years already.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I do not know if other people have suggested this or not, but why don't newspaper companies (New York Times, Chicago Tribune, any sort of newspaper actually) put their newspapers on iTunes. ...
Only two weeks ago.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I think Apple's apparent desire to look at improving advertising may be on the back of them moving into the publishing newspaper arena.

Apple's talking with newspaper companies (or rather their parent companies), sports companies (Disney's ESPN), publishers of books etc.

It's just been hush hush. Check out LongBox for example.

Apple's got time to let the newspapers come to them. eBooks aren't popular yet. But that's content, hardware, and software issues.

See the Guardian pay for app on the iPhone - works, and a way to show how they could go. (Offline news access etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.