Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Hey everyone!

Trying to snag up 2 tablets before Christmas for our kids! I can’t afford to pay for 2 iPads, looking for 150 or less

I’m looking at the Samsung galaxy tab A8 10.5” from Best Buy which I think is a great price.

Anyone have this tablet? Is it good enough to handle playing Roblox and other kinds of games like it and watch YouTube/netflix?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
150 what? US Dollar?

The A8 tabs are fairly laggy but they can handle basic tasks like YouTube/Netflix and games that are not very resource intensive. I believe Roblox fits into this category.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Hey everyone!

Trying to snag up 2 tablets before Christmas for our kids! I can’t afford to pay for 2 iPads, looking for 150 or less

I’m looking at the Samsung galaxy tab A8 10.5” from Best Buy which I think is a great price.

Anyone have this tablet? Is it good enough to handle playing Roblox and other kinds of games like it and watch YouTube/netflix?
The a8 would be perfect for kids.

Don't listen to people saying it is laggy. The Unisoc processor is decent for a budget processor. 3gb ram is just enough. So the kids can play any Android games easily. The screen on these is excellent, speakers are great and build quality is good. These should get 5 years of total updates.

In my opinion besides an iPad these are perfect kids tablets. The only exception is if they want to draw. Then the s6 lite might be a better option but considerably more expensive.

iPads are better for kids overall and generally last longer. So you spend more up front but then don't have to keep buying a new tablet. A Samsung a tablet is a fine tablet for kids with low expectations and will last about 2-3 years before you might need to replace. An iPad will generally last 5 years or more. I am assuming your kids aren't teens. Teens might have different expectations and the a8 might not be good enough?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

Sale for $159 on this model is a steal for the 64/4gb config.

You won't find a better tablet for less.

I know it is after Christmas and you already made your decision but some people may have gift cards and this is a great deal.

So what did you get your kids??

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think my friend has this tablet. It works fine. What are the issues you're facing?
I would ignore people who say things so dismissive without saying why. Probably had unrealistic expectations.

The tab a8 for a budget tablet is a great device. If you want better hardware a Lenovo P12 would be better but you get no software updates from Lenovo and the ones you get don't work half the time. You can get an Aldocube or Teclast tablet from Amazon or Alibaba and it will have better specs but never get a single OS upgrade.

So from a holistic perspective the tab a8 is about the best you can get for $159 or $139 depending on the configuration.

Maybe the person who said it was garbage was used to iPads or high end devices??

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Walmart has great prices on budget Android tablets, including their own brand If you find a tablet you like, check the reviews.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Slow performance, android, wrong screen aspect
What do you expect at this price point and what is better in this category?

The performance is decent enough for basic tasks and media consumption and light Android games. It has a 2k screen? It has great stereo speakers. It has a great screen.

For $159 you get 64gb storage and 4gb ram.

I really dare you to show me a better tablet at this price?

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
What do you expect at this price point and what is better in this category?

The performance is decent enough for basic tasks and media consumption and light Android games. It has a 2k screen? It has great stereo speakers. It has a great screen.

For $159 you get 64gb storage and 4gb ram.

I really dare you to show me a better tablet at this price?
Not sure if better, but in my country they also sell Huawei Matepads etc which seem to be decent. But I mean as far as I'm aware the tablet you pointed out is okay. You can watch YouTube on it and play among us just fine and as much as I've seen it's just fine. Nothing wrong with the A8. I haven't noticed the slow performance either. It looks fine for surfing the web and YouTube.
And I don't understand how having an Android is a flaw. For real, how is this a flaw?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.