Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Hamburger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Sunny Bangkok
Can anybody help me turn tabs on.

I have done a few searches and I beleive you are supposed to do this in preferences in Safari. Unfoirtunatley I dont see a tabs heading.

I know this is probably easy but I'm very new to mac.

TIA

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Well, i have Safari 1.2.4 in OS 10.3.7, and i have a tabs heading in preferences, so something is definitely wrong for you! Unfortunately, i don't know what to suggest. Have you tried apple-T, to see if that opens a new tab? Maybe Reset Safari (in the Safari menu) will help? Or there's that old favourite, Trash the Preferences (Quit Safari, then move com.apple.Safari.plist from home/library/preferences to your desktop. Re-open Safari, and it will create a new copy of that file. Assuming all's well, you can then trash the old one).

If all that fails, then contact Apple.

The Void
The Trudy Love Boutique!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It should look like this -- you sure you're in the right place? Open Safari and click Preferences from the Safari menu, and then select the Tabs icon across the top. You want to have at least the first item (enable tabbed browsing) checked.

You should be able to click the image below for a bigger version.

The Hamburger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Sunny Bangkok
This might sound lame......

How do you make a screen shot.(I will look it up later if the next sentence is self explanatory)

When I select preferences from safari I only get 'general' without the othe options.

Thanks

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
hit command+shift+3 for the entire desktop, or command+shift+4 to select what you want to take a picture of. a picture file should save to the desktop.

are you saying in the preferences window that pops up - you only see a general icon on the top of that window? no appearance, bookmarks, tabs, autofill, etc? very strange indeed.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wow, I didn't even know that, Muskie! I'm sure I've clicked those by accident before and clicked them again immediately, and quietly forgotten what they do. :)

As for the screenshot coming as PDF thing, yes, that's the way MacOS works, which can be irritating at times. The way most people handle this is to open it in preview, and export it as a jpeg from there.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
mkrishnan said:
Wow, I didn't even know that, Muskie! I'm sure I've clicked those by accident before and clicked them again immediately, and quietly forgotten what they do. :)

Haha, glad I could help at least someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.