Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Both of these games are like SWAT or Rainbow Six (of old not the new mess). They are in Early Access on Steam and appear to be Windows only currently. I dunno if these run okay under crossover, and the dev teams for these two games are "small" so no telling if there will ever be a macOS version.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Wonder how good they'll be. I like those types of games. Sometimes they start getting too unrealistic with the size of firefights, all the bad guys fighting to the last man and such. Even worse is as they make more and more entries. They start adding stuff like healing.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I got that Ready or Not one at the end of last year - had some free promotional money from Paypal that was expiring on Dec 31 so it didn't cost me anything.

I was hoping for Rainbow Six but it's super rough at the moment. There are placeholder levels with no textures whatsoever, the enemies have x-ray vision and they never miss, the squad AI is rudimentary... It might be good eventually but it seems years away from being finished.

Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I got that Ready or Not one at the end of last year - had some free promotional money from Paypal that was expiring on Dec 31 so it didn't cost me anything.

I was hoping for Rainbow Six but it's super rough at the moment. There are placeholder levels with no textures whatsoever, the enemies have x-ray vision and they never miss, the squad AI is rudimentary... It might be good eventually but it seems years away from being finished.
Currently the community seems mad that the backer edition is more done than the normal edition. Which I think is reflected in the Steam Reviews.

I did buy NPB (I mean it is 14 bucks, lol). I did not buy Ready or Not cause I saw the reviews and got concerned, lol. But I like the premise, for sure.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Currently the community seems mad that the backer edition is more done than the normal edition. Which I think is reflected in the Steam Reviews.

I did buy NPB (I mean it is 14 bucks, lol). I did not buy Ready or Not cause I saw the reviews and got concerned, lol. But I like the premise, for sure.
I wasn't aware of the different editions when I bought Ready or Not. I'd never even heard of it, it just popped up on my Steam recommendations and I only had a few hours left to spend my free credit.

I don't think I'll be checking in very often to see how it's progressing, but I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised in two or three years when it's done.

Reactions: diamond.g

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Perhaps the backer edition is getting the latest patches and updates for testing purposes. Before releasing those updates to everyone else.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
This thread prompted me to have another look at it, and I actually figured out how to change my loadout - there's no tutorial or any instructions at all.

Having night vision goggles made a big difference. I still got shot, because I didn't know how to move at anything above a slow walking pace, but I took about six bad guys with me. No prisoners.

It's extremely hardcore. So many keys to bind, I don't know where to start. I'm more of a Rainbow Six Vegas person when it comes to tactical shooters, but this is super realistic police judge/jury/executioner sim. I would love it with a Judge Dredd theme.

35,000 Steam reviews, very positive. There's obviously a market for this stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.