Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm just wondering whether there's some sort of tag that can be added to local ALAC files (perhaps with something like Subler) to make the 'lossless' icon appear in Music. Not a big deal if not, but just a 'nice to have' if it's possible!

Subler already supports a similar tag to make the 'HD' icon appear on local video files, so presumably there's something similar for audio... but maybe the format's too new and nobody's found it yet.

Okla

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2021
I'm just wondering whether there's some sort of tag that can be added to local ALAC files (perhaps with something like Subler) to make the 'lossless' icon appear in Music. Not a big deal if not, but just a 'nice to have' if it's possible!

Subler already supports a similar tag to make the 'HD' icon appear on local video files, so presumably there's something similar for audio... but maybe the format's too new and nobody's found it yet.
I'd really appreciate it if you would elaborate on this issue, Nermal. You see, we're presently using JRiver MC28 for Mac to send our digital audio files to our streaming devices (over an internal, non internet LAN) and, much to our dismay, these files are always displayed on [more than one] target playback device as being .mp3 at 128 Kbps. Listening sessions seem to suggest that we're actually hearing the .flac format that we're starting out with, but we're consistently seeing that MP3 symbol -- no matter what we try.

Perhaps you're dealing with something entirely different, but the subject title you used sort of "pulled" me here. ;)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on the matter - Okla

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Perhaps you're dealing with something entirely different
Indeed I am. All I was looking for was a way to add the "lossless" icon in the Music app. This has nothing to do with external hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.