Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dman24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Hey everyone. This is day three of Macbook owner ship and I really like it. I really want to make sure I take really good care of it and avoid as many scratches, and bumps and bruises to my new great machine as I can. I notice that this machine has a knack for getting smudges and I am usually quick to remove them. I have a notebook back pack that is about 2 years old, but I was considering getting one of those Incase sleeves or just replacing my bag all together. After looking on Amazon I really liked the look of the Brenthaven Leather Edge I for the MacBook. It seems to fit snugly and offer a lot of protection. Any advice on this or any other device that you use?

In terms of cleaning what is the best way to keep the machine looking brand new? I've heard of Mr. Clean Magic Erase, but don't know much about it. Does anyone have any procedures that they use to clean the unit, screen, case, keypad?

Thanks everyone.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Hey everyone. This is day three of Macbook owner ship and I really like it. I really want to make sure I take really good care of it and avoid as many scratches, and bumps and bruises to my new great machine as I can. I notice that this machine has a knack for getting smudges and I am usually quick to remove them. I have a notebook back pack that is about 2 years old, but I was considering getting one of those Incase sleeves or just replacing my bag all together. After looking on Amazon I really liked the look of the Brenthaven Leather Edge I for the MacBook. It seems to fit snugly and offer a lot of protection. Any advice on this or any other device that you use?

In terms of cleaning what is the best way to keep the machine looking brand new? I've heard of Mr. Clean Magic Erase, but don't know much about it. Does anyone have any procedures that they use to clean the unit, screen, case, keypad?

Thanks everyone.

hey congrats on your new purchase. i use a Tucano sleeve which i love and it does a great job. for cleaning, i would recommend using a microfiber towel along with water. i dont use any sprays or anything else, just damp the towel and use it on the machine as well as on the screen. goodluck

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I use iKlear (Apple Polish) with an anti-static cloth for cleaning my macbook screen, keyboard and case. Works a treat :)

BTW my first post :D

Steve aka Jakeblu

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008

Thanks everyone.

Hi. I was also wondering. 'Cause I have recently got'en a Blackbook and want to use it for school. So, I'm having a regular backpack and a tuscano-sleeve for my blackbook. Can I put the mac (with sleeve) in my backpack with schoolbooks and so on, with it's gettin' hurt? I'll not gonna "throw" it in or anything, but just wondering. I think it nice, 'cause then I don't have to have two backpack with to school and no one notice that I'm having a mac in my back, instead of walking around with a "regular" portable-computer bag

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Plain water on a washcloth is all you need to keep it clean.

TEG

To piggy-back that, don't worry about MDS (minor dings and scratchs)....they give your MacBook character. I spend my time USING my MacBook, not giving it a pedicure.

Zadiek

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Raymore, MO
Check out these products: Radtech Screensavrz, Moshi Palmguard, iKlear. Also, make sure you get a nice 13 inch case for it!

Zadiek

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Raymore, MO
Btw, I wouldn't use the Magic Eraser on the macbook. My GF did on hers, and you can tell where she used it in certain light sources.

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Btw, I wouldn't use the Magic Eraser on the macbook. My GF did on hers, and you can tell where she used it in certain light sources.

Like some of us said earlier, use a wet soft cloth. Don't be a yuppy with your hardware by spending money on BS cleaning products.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Congratulations on the new Macbook. I just got my white 2.4 on Tuesday and oh man, do I love this thing.
As far as cases go, I bought an Incase sleeve which fits really well and gives a fair amount of protection. The sleeve goes into a Crumpler Luncheon which is fairly good for protection and is a really stylish and functional bag that comes in some funky colors.
Enjoy your new baby!

Mick

mleibowi

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
I also just got my first macbook. I love it too!!! Installed parallels, memory, the whole nine yards. In terms of a case, I got a brenthaven trek case. It seems pretty good so far, function over form...

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
There is a black cloth that came with your MacBook. Use that! It works wonders getting rid of finger prints and dust, even from the screen.

Congrats on getting your MacBook! :D

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Like some of us said earlier, use a wet soft cloth. Don't be a yuppy with your hardware by spending money on BS cleaning products.

I don't use them on my MacBook, but those Magic Clean Erasers are not BS products. My mum has them and uses them and they work well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.