Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
Hey guys. My MacBook has deceloped the cracks in the palmrest where the screen supports hit. I made an appointment at the Apple Store to hopefully get it repaired. In case they have to keep my laptop for a few days, what should I do to prepare? I will obviously backup everything to an external drive. But should I do anything else? I haven't had any experience getting a computer repaired before.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
If you have backed up you data I can't think of anything else you need to do.
Good luck with the appointment :)

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
You have to give them your admin password when you leave it. You might want to change it to something else first if it makes you uncomfortable.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
You have to give them your admin password when you leave it. You might want to change it to something else first if it makes you uncomfortable.

That's good advice. But should they even need to turn on the computer if all they are doing is replacing the top of the case?

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
That's good advice. But should they even need to turn on the computer if all they are doing is replacing the top of the case?

Yes, they will always turn on the computer first before they do any work on it, and they will turn it on when they are done, to make sure everything was working before, and is working after.

dietzg

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
What kind of cracks does your MB have? I am taking my MBP into a store this Saturday... I am hoping that they will fix the problems in my chassis free of charge.

Do you have a picture?

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
I would also photograph or have the genius document the condition of the non-affected areas of the MB (e.g. the screen, the top of the case). That way if it gets all banged up during the repair, you can prove it wasn't you/there before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.