Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When one uses a mbp and is working professionally/remotelly with it, i guess that one of The Greatest fears he might encounter, is when the mbp would be broken and would needed to to be taken to Service. What im worried about would be if theres a slight posibility of reaching out reaching to my files and use them to my files.
Are my files protected?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Unlikely, that’s why a backup is always a good idea. If you take it to Apple and they have to do any hardware changes, they will wipe the Mac if needed.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
TMachine is undoubtedly the way to go, but the problem is if there is a HDDfailure… then what do I do.
The drives on the new MBpro are not replaceable to take them out etc… 😐

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
And guys, let me ask for starters, is it possible for someone that has your M1mbp to access your files when there’s only a user password set, no fingerprint, just a password?

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
And guys, let me ask for starters, is it possible for someone that has your M1mbp to access your files when there’s only a user password set, no fingerprint, just a password?
Do you have FileVault enabled? Then no, unless they know your password or decryption key.

I had my M1 Pro MBP brought in twice for a screen replacement last year, they didn't wipe anything.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
FileVault gives me the creeps though because of this...
WARNING: Don’t forget your recovery key. If you turn on FileVault and then forget your login password and can’t reset it, and you also forget your recovery key, you won’t be able to log in, and your files and settings will be lost forever....
:(

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Suppose i have FVault on, when will FV ask me for the login pass and the recovery key?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Login password will be at boot time, or when asked to unlock the drive after waking from sleep, or some time period after leaving the system idle, if your screen locks after some time period that you have set.
Mostly normal stuff there.
Recovery key will be needed if you forget (or don't know) the login password.
Try your best not to forget either the login password, or the recovery key

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i check if the passcode i remember its the right one?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's your normal login password, so you do know what that is, right?
And, that would be the same password that you use every time you restart your Mac.
If it works for that, then it is the correct one...
If you don't remember what that login password is, then you will need to use your filevault recovery key.
If you don't remember what THAT is, then your data on your FileVault-protected drive is irretrievably lost.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I know what the Normal Login pass is... knowing that means thats its the same for FileVault?
I cant remember what i have set for Filevault Recovery Key... is there a way to find that?

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
FileVault gives me the creeps though because of this...
WARNING: Don’t forget your recovery key. If you turn on FileVault and then forget your login password and can’t reset it, and you also forget your recovery key, you won’t be able to log in, and your files and settings will be lost forever....
:(
Well, in the end it's up to your own preference. If you forget the recovery key(or Apple ID if you picked that as the recovery option), no one can read your data. On the other side, without it on anyone can.

I know what the Normal Login pass is... knowing that means thats its the same for FileVault?
I cant remember what i have set for Filevault Recovery Key... is there a way to find that?
Your password is one way of unlocking it, the other is the recovery key(or Apple ID) if you forgot your password. Looking at the article I sent, it seems that it's encrypted in some form automatically if you've got a Mac with an Apple Silicon or T2-chip. And if you have a Mac with the latter and set it up as new, I believe it automatically enables FileVault with your Apple ID as the recovery method opposed to the alternative decryption key.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The FileVault password can be the same as your normal account login, unless you choose to make it different from your account login password.
There's a good strategy for keeping track of your recovery key here
It also walks you through getting a replacement recovery key, if you forgot the key (or simply forget where you decided to keep it stored), which is basically turning OFF FileVault (allowing it to completely unencrypt the drive), then turning FileVault back on (a new recovery password will be generated). And, that process will only work if your login password is correct for FileVault. AND, finally, if your FileVault password is lost/forgotten, then you have to use the recovery password to do the unlock process (there are no other choices). See where this is going?

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Recently had my screen replaced on my MBP 14 M3 machine. I have encryption enabled, and didn't give them my password. They said they didn't need it for a screen replacement. Had they have needed it, I would have wiped it in store before handing it to them and restored from my TM backup once fixed.

Great service, went in on Wednesday, part ordered, installed by Sunday.

Reactions: kitKAC

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
When you bring your laptop in for service they always make you declare that you have a full backup copy of EVERYTHING and that they're not responsible for anything that happens to the data on your machine and for good reason too. Depending on what you need done, they may just give you a new SSD or your SSD could get wiped for any number of reasons. It's also possible you just get a replacement machine.

I've brought my MBPs in for service several times. Usually it comes back exactly as I left it, but one time they completely went to town and replaced everything I complained about and more. I ended up with so many new components I thought they had actually given me an old stock refurb.

The SSD was either wiped or replaced so make absolute sure you have a full and total backup before you leave your laptop with them.

If I need service more than 2 years after my purchase date, I'll buy an upgraded MBP from the refurb store to test drive while mine is getting repairs. I won't hand in my MBP until my new laptop is completely running as I expect it to.

If I find the performance upgrades worth the money, I'll keep the "loaner" and sell my old one when it comes back. Otherwise, I return my upgrade at the end of the 2 week return window.

I really hate the upgrade process so if Apple forces me to go through this circus because I'm not able to service my machine myself, then I'll just test drive my next upgrade and push my next upgrade out by another 2 years.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok, i made this thread because i wasn't sure if the service dpt can have access -or not- to my data if i only have set a user account pass. Since u guys tell me that a pass is enough for safety im ok, thank you all ;-)

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
If there is only a user password without FV enabled I think their recovery tools can read everything

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
😳 u sure?
Are you able to check if FileVault is enabled? Like I mentioned earlier, should be if it's a newer model.

If it's absolutely unusable and has to get service, if you leave it at an official Apple Store I seriously doubt anyone there would check if it's unencrypted and try to steal any data off it. But it's absolutely best practice to turn in anything with sensitive data on it encrypted or wiped, if possible. Even more so if the drive is the culprit and has to be replaced.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Usually what I have done before taking a Mac to the Apple Store for some sort of attention, usually in the past a recall/warranty replacement of a faulty screen (back in the day, the "Staingate" situation) or some other part, is to simply review my files on the drive (if I can and it's not an issue with the drive itself) and just remove the ones I feel include sensitive and personal information, such as medical history files, annual US income tax return information and files, etc. I stick those temporarily on an external drive (actually, they're also already routinely backed up on other external drives, too, but this way I know where they are when the machine returns to my custody and can then promptly put them back).

This has worked for me and provides reassurance that others are not either accidentally or purposefully looking at files that I don't want them to see. I don't care if they browse through the files in my Documents folder which are not of a personal nature (hey, they might find a good recipe or two there that I've snagged from somewhere online)!). My music and movies folders are filled with music and movies that probably a lot of other people also have, too, so no big deal there.....

My Pictures folder is filled with images that I have shot over the past several years, but most of those images are fairly innocuous, since I don't shoot photos of other people or gawd forbid, "selfies" and such of myself (how egotistical is THAT?!), and am more into capturing scenes which interest me, closeups and macro images as well as the fascinating activities of wildlife.

In summary: Before taking my machine to the Apple Store for any sort of work on their part, I simply remove anything personal or that I want to keep private before the machine is in the hands of the Apple Store employee(s) and others concerned with whatever the particular situation might be. When the machine comes home, I put back the folders and files I'd temporarily removed. This way the folks attending to whatever repair/restoration is needed on my machine can take care of that and if they happen to look at anything, see something along the way, they really won't spot anything exciting or interesting.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just a user/admin password? Yes, you (or a service tech) can see (and copy) whatever is on the drive.
That's why FileVault is relevant... With FV the entire drive is encrypted, and is why if you lose/forget your FileVault unlock code, nothing is recoverable on your drive. And, without the unlock code, no one can randomly look at whatever is on your drive.
At some point, if you choose to erase your encrypted drive (maybe because you are selling your Mac)--your erased files cannot be recovered, everything is forever scrambled because of the encryption.
But, if you are bothered by leaving your files/pictures/perhaps password access available to people that you don't know, then either turn on FileVault, or do a full wipe of the drive, leaving only the OS installed. Restore your "Stuff" when your Mac is returned to you.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.