Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhi182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
A three year old iPhone (X) and an 2 year iPad Pro (11")
While the iPP was still going strong, the iPhone seemed to be showing it's age.
Random slowdowns, delayed responsiveness and what not.

After upgrading my laptop to the M1, that latency/slowness started feeling even more unbearable. To the extent that I almost pulled the trigger on a new iPhone 12 today.

On a whim, I took a pause before confirming the payment and decided to reset said iPhone.
Lo, behold - 1 hour later after all the data/app restoration was done - the phone feels as fast as my wife's iPhone 11 PM .
Other than the 30 mins spent on the exercise - and probably another 15 on restoring credentials for banking apps- there isn't much in terms of data loss / restoration either.
This should now confortably last me another year, if not two.

Based on this experience, I decided to reset the iPad too - and while the perf improvement is not a pronounced (considering it was not laggy to begin with) but there is a distinct boost to that subjective snappiness.

It's probably common knowledge - but Just thought it's still worth sharing.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Must of had a rare bug somewhere, we have a iPhone X in the family, never been restored still running as good as the day it was purchased, got a 12.9 inch iPad Pro 2018 model launch day purchase, never had to restore it either, glad to hear you saved some money and everything is back to normal.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was on iOS 9.0.1 from September 2015 to sometime in July 2020 I think. Jailbroken with over 200+ tweaks installed. Not one issue.

Went straight to iOS 14 last year. Still no issues. That was the first restore that phone has ever had.

Reactions: LFC2020

abhi182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Must of had a rare bug somewhere, we have a iPhone X in the family, never been restored still running as good as the day it was purchased, got a 12.9 inch iPad Pro 2018 model launch day purchase, never had to restore it either, glad to hear you saved some money and everything is back to normal.
Don't think it was a bug or anything
3 years of daily usage (and several hours each day) is bound to lead to a lot of unwarranted cache/ linkages/ other crud
And while said buildup in nowhere as bad on iOS as android - but it's not immune to it.

In any case, reset and restore (via iCloud) is a pretty easy task and doesn't take long either.
A pretty small cost to give what was an expensive device a new lease of life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.