Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
I really like this watch. I think it will be useful. However my current role has me in a desk 75% of the time with a mac in front of me. I get my messages and emails live most of the day. When I travel, I can see it being useful... But I wonder if that's enough justification

I have 42mm SS watch with SS link band
I have a black sports band
I have a brown leather loop, large and medium (will return one when I get the chance to try them on)

Or wait... do I still what this?

Talk me into it!

Last edited by a moderator:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
If you're at a desk all day the stand reminders will help you live longer. That right there is reason enough to keep it. :)

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I really like this watch. I think it will be useful. However my current role has me in a desk 75% of the time with a mac in front of me. I get my messages and emails live most of the day. When I travel, I can see it being useful... But I wonder if that's enough justification

I have a brown leather loop, large and medium (will return one when I get the chance to try them on)

Talk me into it!

Keep it. But not the brown leather loop in medium. Sell that to me. But keep the rest.

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
If you're at a desk all day the stand reminders will help you live longer. That right there is reason enough to keep it. :)
I guess I should clarify that I do get up frequently :) I don't LITERALLY sit at a desk all day. I also go for walks over lunch hour! Woohoo!
Keep it. But not the brown leather loop in medium. Sell that to me. But keep the rest.

LOL. Thanks for the input..... :) :rolleyes:

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007

Talk me into it!

It's obvious you are into apple and apple watch, therefore I suggest you get the sport model so you can feel better about this purchase since it's just an iphone accessory

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
It's obvious you are into apple and apple watch, therefore I suggest you get the sport model so you can feel better about this purchase since it's just an iphone accessory

This might not be a bad idea. It would make it feel more justified... However I can't imagine wearing the sport model with sport band all day with my sport coat.... Just wouldn't make sense? I supposed I could stick with the brown leather loop band and a sport band...... hm. I'd have to sell this stuff then.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

Talk me into it!

Frankly, anyone who needs to be "talked into it" has NO idea of what the watch is all about and NO idea of why the watch would be useful to them. I'd strongly suggest you return it. I'm being very serious. Anyone who is half way intelligent should know if they want or don't want the watch. Sorry, but that's how I see it after reading innumerable threads from people who have NO idea what the watch is about. Get rid of it.

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Frankly, anyone who needs to be "talked into it" has NO idea of what the watch is all about and NO idea of why the watch would be useful to them. I'd strongly suggest you return it. I'm being very serious. Anyone who is half way intelligent should know if they want or don't want the watch. Sorry, but that's how I see it after reading innumerable threads from people who have NO idea what the watch is about. Get rid of it.

Considering I said that I love the watch and I see it's usefulness.... Thanks?
It's not about being "intelligent" or "wanting" it or not. I want the watch. It's useful, just maybe not $1,000 useful.

I like the sport watch swap option, but I love the materials of the SS. Tough one.

I am 24 hours beyond my return window right now as well.

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
I think the best idea so far is decreasing the investment amount in this "convenience" product (for me, anyway).

Best way to sell?

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think the best idea so far is decreasing the investment amount in this "convenience" product (for me, anyway).

Best way to sell?

Sell on Kijiji or CL, ask a bit more than its value as its still a long wait for those without one to buy it. I would suggest buying the sport if you don't want to invest a lot of money.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
IMHO, ditch the link bracelet. Yeah, it's the fanciest bracelet every designed by humans. But it also costs as much as the watch. The ones I'm looking at getting -- leather loop and Milanese loop -- later on cost $150, which is much easier on the wallet. You also might want to see if a third party ends up making a nice link bracelet for half the price.

As another poster said, the "get your ass up!" feature will help improve your health. I like it so far. If doing that stuff gets turned into a little game with goals and rewards, I'm more likely to do it. If Apple were to turn it into a literal rewards program where maybe you go a week filling up each of your circles and you get a credit to your account for maybe 25 cents or something, depending on the level you set. All of a sudden those bike rides can turn into songs, TV shows, movies, etc.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth

Hmm, maybe not if you smoke and drink on a regular basis like me. I still react to the reminder most of the time. :p

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
If Apple were to turn it into a literal rewards program where maybe you go a week filling up each of your circles and you get a credit to your account for maybe 25 cents or something, depending on the level you set. All of a sudden those bike rides can turn into songs, TV shows, movies, etc.

And all of the sudden, the U.S. would either become: A) Healthier or B) Craftier at tricking the watch into thinking attaching your watch to your dog and letting him run loose in the backyard equals filled up rings

I'm going to go with B...

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I'd ditch the link bracelet, which dramatically reduces your investment in it. Other than that, if you are still unsure and still looking to be talked into keeping it (by strangers no less), then perhaps it's just not for you.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
And all of the sudden, the U.S. would either become: A) Healthier or B) Craftier at tricking the watch into thinking attaching your watch to your dog and letting him run loose in the backyard equals filled up rings

I'm going to go with B...

I don't doubt there would be issues making it secure from that type. But I literally don't think it would work on a dog because of the sensors that detect when its on your wrist. Hell, just add a DNA sensor to the watch. I'm sure that would be absolutely no trouble at all and very, very cheap! :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You have got a really nice watch and selection of bands. Apparently buying them did not require you to starve or delay your rent or mortgage. You're past your return period. So...what exactly are you after, again? You're not really asking complete strangers, some of whom may be completely insane, like me, to do your thinking for you, are you?

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
You have got a really nice watch and selection of bands. Apparently buying them did not require you to starve or delay your rent or mortgage. You're past your return period. So...what exactly are you after, again? You're not really asking complete strangers, some of whom may be completely insane, like me, to do your thinking for you, are you?

Just out for opinions and ideas. Trying to find a way to satisfy my logic computer and my heart at the same time.

I like the idea of keeping the SS watch w/ sport and LL bands.... Selling off just the link band.

That's a sustainable solution and let's me stay away from the aluminum watch.

I don't have the Link band box though, since it came with my watch.

Wsidewarrior07

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Just out for opinions and ideas. Trying to find a way to satisfy my logic computer and my heart at the same time.

I like the idea of keeping the SS watch w/ sport and LL bands.... Selling off just the link band.

If you bought the watch with the link band, you obviously want the link band. Don't sell it. I on the other hand bought the SS without the link band (which is my favorite) and I completely regretted not having the one I wanted so I had to order the band seperately.

I'm somewhat in the same boat with justifying the cost. I love the watch, Love, love, love it. But something about it just isn't $800-1000. I've toyed with the idea of the space grey sport, even bought one on eBay. I keep coming back to SS with link.

Moral of the story is.... As long as it doesn't throw you into some financial whirlwind.... Keep what you like, it's the only way you'll be happy with your purchase. If you love it, it's worth it to keep it.

I feel your pain, somewhat being in the same boat. Just my .02

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Trying to find a way to satisfy my logic computer and my heart at the same time.

Do what I do - stop thinking about it.

Once you stop thinking about the money you spent, you'll just enjoy the watch. Problem solved. That money is gone, and you'll only get it back with personal hassle to yourself (selling is a hassle). Why make more work for yourself? Just, you know, keep calm and wear the watch.

IllusionEntity

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2013
Kent, UK
Just enjoy the damn watch! I have a BCB that I got with the watch, a GSB and a Link. I'm loving the watch and all of my bands. I wouldn't even return the link. Couldn't be happier with my purchases.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Stop feeling guilty...

You knew what you were doing when ordering the damn thing. And you know would be happier keeping it and not settling for a Sport...

What's with everyone and feeling bashful about these purchases? It's not 2008 anymore, conspicuous-ness is on its way out - you didn't see the Chinese guy who took pictures of his edition watches on his dog? Be proud and stand tall, you have an :apple: watch, in stainless steel like a real watch should be for god sakes...

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

Best way to sell?

This is what I did, and do feel better about it. Might be a keeper now whereas before ($600+) there's no way, but at $400'ish I can almost justify it.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013

Talk me into it!
Only you know the answer to this. If your questioning whether to keep it or not, likely you know not to keep it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I think you're bonkers, and I mean that in an affectionate friendly way. ;) Unless you're sacrificing some other want or need, I think you should relax and enjoy those great bands. Unless you really dislike the stainless steel. But you seem to really like your picks and I don't blame you. You didn't do anything stupid. Everyone splurges now and again. I've got friends who have closets full of expensive designer handbags. One could argue that's as frivolous as it gets when a $39 bag from Kohls can do the same thing and look decent. But everyone has their weakness for an occasional indulgence now and again.

I'm over here envying your collection. I DO have other expenses and so at most I can splurge on another sport band in a different color or down the road, a leather band. I love the Apple link band, myself, but getting that any time in the next three months means I have to sacrifice some other small luxuries for summer vacation.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012

Talk me into it!

I took mine back. Mine cost £600 and for that it was a poor product which was pretty useless to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.