Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Many to narrow minded to see the possibilities.

Right now, even without a single native app written for it, the iPad is on interesting device. Third part apps and materials will make it an in demand device six months down the road. Think about it guys developers will be freed from the issues of screen size that has so hobbled current Touch apps.

Many have suggested that this is a consummer only device, to which I have to say nonsense. In many ways it is the best product Apple has for the business/professional world. That due to the units ability to solve problems in unique ways. It allows problems to be refactored resulting in lower costs and timely knowledge.

A camera would be of limited usefullness and frankly would work against Apples ability to drive the unit into businesses. On the otherhand Apple should have provided the unit with real USB ports to support the use of cameras by those that need them. In any event those whining about the lack of a camera have the least credibility in my mind.

Look at it this way iPad is not perfect but it is an excellent first stab at a tablet.

Dave

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
The people I talked to when they heard about the Apple tablet, thought it was in reference to a health supplement and wondered why it had gotten such big news coverage.

But once I told them about what it actually was they hated the huge bezel and said they didn't need a huge iPod touch!

I don't understand all this hate for the bezel?!?!?!?!

Where else are you supposed to put your thumbs while holding it? On the touch screen so you get a bunch of false touches? I think I read someplace that the bezel is right wound 3/4 of an inch. That really is not that big considering the size of most people's thumbs.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Hostility, Smostillity.

If "hostility" is any marker then that extremely bodes well for Apple and the iPad.

You will recall the initiall hostility for the iPod (Music players are boring; the world doesn't need another MP3 player; MP3 players are flops, why is Apple getting into this business). And then again for the iPhone (It doesn't have a real keyboard, so deal killer; No flash; No multi-tasking; too fragile; no SD slot).

Personally I'm excited about the iPad and I already have big plans for it. I don't know if it will be killer hardware, though I suspect so. However, I do know that if the apps are there people will come. The iPad has so many possibilities that could not be covered yesterday it's easy to understand why typical consumers would be confused. But once the apps are out we'll see what the read demand is, just as the app store really kicked off the iPhone's true success.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't understand all this hate for the bezel?!?!?!?!

It's because its unfamiliar to them. What other Apple products have wide black bezels? Oh wait...

Really, these are just H8Rs and trolls enjoying their time in the sun. They understand the story may well be different in 60 days so they have to find as many ridiculous things to say before the iPad lines form and sun sets on them.

bmullemeister

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Many uses for everyone personal or business

I found all the pro and con comments very interesting.
I noted on Steven Jobs video that there is an offer for iWorks 3 programs for $9.99 each so not only can you email, surf, view photos/videos,get books from IBooks and read you can also have and produce and store spreadsheets, Powerpoint presentations , word documents . You can purchase a qwerty keyboard for some serious number crunching or writing.
There is a handy stand available ( which also charges) and I can imagine doing a slide shows music and all or sit in on the kitchen bench reading/following step by step instructions for recipes you can view dual page if needed)
Reading the news papers which can be auto downloaded each day instead of trying to find the delivered paper which can sometimes end up in one of my trees which I find days later

The only thing I am not sure of how reading books on iPad (backlit) compares with the E-Ink type displays on Kindle and Sony which is supposed to be easier on the eyes

I am the proud owner of an iMac and iPhone and may consider an iPad for when I travel
Bert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.