Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanleyGanley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
CONFIRMATION OF TAP-TO-CLICK ISSUE WITH THUMB:
Apple says they haven't heard of it
Over the last 4 months, I have purchased 3, 14" M1 MBPs.
1. M1 refurbished (returned)
2. M1 Brand New (returned)
3. M1 MAX refurbished (Pending return)
ON ALL 3, the tap to click with my THUMB is interment, only working about 50% to 70% of the time
Sometimes works 4 times in a row, then not for 1, not for 3 times, then works for 1, etc, etc.
Called apple, escalated to a Senior Advisor, they were really nice, but not getting back to me, knowing I have a small window of return.
Went to a Genius Bar appointment, and he was able to have his thumb work. So it seems that a percentage of the population is not able to have their thumb recognized for the tap to click. If you tap down with a single index finger, it is better, but how many tasks and gestures are thumb AND index, right!!!???
I went to Costco and tried out their M2 macs.
1. 13" M2 - trackpad - Worked well
2. 14" M2 mbp - trackpad - INTERMITTENT - SAME ISSUES
3. 16" M2 mbp - trackpad - which is BIGGER than then 14" - seemed to work well
4. M2 AIR - trackpad - INTERMITTENT - SAME ISSUES as 14" mbp
I even took a video with a Costco worker present and they observed it, so it is not just an M1 issue

MY GUESS???? This is a global trackpad hardware issue for the trackpad size related to the 14", not software. Now to research when they were introduced. Does the 14" and Air have the same trackpad? The 16" is clearly bigger and different. What is the likelihood they will do anything about it? I'm guessing that's a big NO. Very discouraged. I dropped $3,600 on a 14" MBP with M1 Max, 64 Ram, 4 TB HD for music production. This is very discouraging. I really need a computer now!!! And now will likely return.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
anyone? anyone? :)
I have MBP14. For me it does feel as if the trackpad is difficult to use. I tend to place my thumb in the bottom-middle and, from there, sometimes the click action doesn't work. When I move my thumb to left of middle, clicking works just fine.

Reactions: GanleyGanley

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I have MBP14. For me it does feel as if the trackpad is difficult to use. I tend to place my thumb in the bottom-middle and, from there, sometimes the click action doesn't work. When I move my thumb to left of middle, clicking works just fine.

To me, it feels like the trackpad has smaller areas for left and right click (when enabled). To be fair, most trackpads on Windows-based laptops have a similar setup in terms of where on the pad you have to click, so it's not necessarily a flaw or a bug, but something about the design.

Reactions: rmadsen3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.