Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Does anyone know if tap to wake will be added? Would be a useful thing to have.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Not sure why they just wouldn't give the option though, if you were on to worry about overbearing the home button that would be nice to have. Or if your home button just wasn't functioning properly for some other reason.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
No, it’s not possible and will never be

The display is not capable of it

it’s a hardware level function involving the digitizer

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Not sure why they just wouldn't give the option though, if you were on to worry about overbearing the home button that would be nice to have. Or if your home button just wasn't functioning properly for some other reason.

It has lift to wake, does it not? And the power button on the side. I'm not sure what you mean by "overbearing" the home button though.

carltabs

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016
It has lift to wake, does it not? And the power button on the side. I'm not sure what you mean by "overbearing" the home button though.
I don't have one ...but isn't the home button not a button ? Thought it was a non mechanical point of contact, which becomes functional once initiated by power ?

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Technically, the button is a vibration motor (taptic engine) that is located underneath the home button, and no longer a mechanical button since the iPhone 7.

I didn't think that the hardware for face-id was intertwined with tape to wake, so I figured apple could just add it via a software update or something. But there could be other hardware there I am unaware of of course.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Face ID is not related to tap to wake...tap to wake is a hardware level feature with the digitizer (physically separated) allowing for independent function

It’s not and never will be possible on the SE (2020)

It’s like how iPhones without a 5G modem cannot support 5G

Last edited:
Reactions: Ericdjensen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.