Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I spent a few hours working on the beginnings of an iPhone app manager/directory

http://tapthatapp.com

My javascript skills are rough, so it isn't that pretty - much of the javascript was based on David Cann's example. Just seemed like this sort of app was necessary.

As for the domain name... either the best or worst domain name ever... haven't decided yet :)

arn

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
cool...

so when you look at it in the iPhone, will you see a picture of an iPhone on the screen? with the page inside the picture of the iPhone?

or will that be taken off when it comes out?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
cool...

so when you look at it in the iPhone, will you see a picture of an iPhone on the screen? with the page inside the picture of the iPhone?

or will that be taken off when it comes out?

the iphone would point to this:

http://tapthatapp.com/iph/index.php

who knows if it will render exactly right. Everyone's guessing at this point.

arn

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You know, after seeing all the example apps for the iPhone I'm starting to think this was a good workaround for Apple. I'm really surprised. Of course we'll really see when we can start using them on the actual phone.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
oh, that is cool!!!

Good work... but you forgot the shopping list app. lol

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Looks like a neat idea. Would there someday be reviews/ratings when there are more apps floating around?

As for the domain name... either the best or worst domain name ever... haven't decided yet :)

First thought that came to mind was this page for some reason :eek:

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Nice job! It almost makes it feel like a 'real app'. I sure hope Apple releases the SDK, they could also use itunes for the distribution channel for approved apps...

Anyways, nice job Arn, looks great.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The name...

Oh never mind, my head is always in the gutter. :eek: :p

Yeah, that's part of the good/bad of the name.

"TapThatApp: I'd tap that..." ;)

we'll leave it there...

arn

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Yeah, that's part of the good/bad of the name.

"TapThatApp: I'd tap that..." ;)

we'll leave it there...

arn

I think it is pretty funny, and great. I know one of the first websites I'll be visiting is tapthatapp.com. Your source for high quality iPhone applications.

Twiztedklown316

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2004
Spokane, Wa
Safari 3 isn't supported on your webpage, when you try to use it, it comes up with "Internet Explorer is not supported," just thought I would mention it, it works fine with 2, however.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Excellent, was wondering when someone would do this. Well done!

This brings up an interesting suggestion for Safari on the iPhone. It should have a special section (like Links on IE) for "applications". Instead of showing them as a list like on most bookmarks, it could just show application icons as in your page. Like Favicons, but larger.

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey
question about web apps?

I'm new to apple, safari and web apps...:confused:
Will I be charged for browser usage each time I use a web app, or is it the initial page load then the phone does the rest internally?
Sorry if I sound kindergartenish, but I'm just curious.
Thanks

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
you will be charged as much as the app uses. if the app no longer needs to load anything off the server, then you wouldn't be charge. thats what i expect. however, most apps i'm sure will be constantly accessing the server on which they're stored.

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
looks really great. if i ever get an iphone ill definitely use it.

Only constructive criticism i have is that i'd change the look of the "My Apps" and "Find Apps" buttons. They dont seem to really flow that well with the rest of the look. Maybe it's just the color of them, but they look out of place to me.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
you will be charged as much as the app uses. if the app no longer needs to load anything off the server, then you wouldn't be charge. thats what i expect. however, most apps i'm sure will be constantly accessing the server on which they're stored.

Hopefully it will be possible to store the page on the iPhone itself, so you could just open it locally instead of going on the web. That would work, right?

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
I see great minds think alike Arn!

http://iphonefanclub.com/

Too bad I haven't gotten the functionality for adding applications to the home page quite done yet. That's another day off or so. I rewrote it, because I wasn't happy how the first method was working.

How did you plan on adding new application data into your application? I have it set so people can post on our forums with special "meta" tags and my application queries the database and pulls/sorts them based on the data input there.

Hopefully it will be possible to store the page on the iPhone itself, so you could just open it locally instead of going on the web. That would work, right?

Wow nice idea, I wonder if iPhone's Safari has an option to save the page. If so this could be even more interesting for application developers.

With my similar application that would actually be possible. My information is all client side, with the database side cached and updated at a regular interval.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.