Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brookter1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2015
I have two 27" iMacs side by side: a 5k 2017 model (call it 'Main') as the main display, with a 27" 2011 non-retina model ('Remote') next to it.

They're connected in a completely standard way as the Apple site tells you to do it. Everything works fine and in addition I can switch the Remote screen on and off with a shell script from Main so I don't even need the second keyboard. So far so good.

The only thing's that's not working perfectly is that every time I turn the target mode on, the sound diverts from Main (where I want it) to Remote (where I don't — because it sounds much worse). To be clear, this is sound that I'm generating on the Main iMac, but being heard on Remote. So, every time, I have to change the output manually from 'internal' to 'iMac' from the menu bar. Not a huge deal, but irritating.

I can't find any way either in the settings or by googling to ensure the sound is never diverted. Has anybody got a solution, please?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.