Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laliastudiocedric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
Hi
I use my 2011 iMac as a target display with target display mode with MacBook Pro.
Is target display always available on Catalina ?

McTinker

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
For what it's worth, a year after your stating the question; I have an 27" iMac 2012 run-in 10.15.6, connected to a MacBook Air 2017, also running 10.15.6, with a Apple thunderbolt 2 cable, and Target Display Mode works!
I have the impression that it works after the last update to 10.15.6 though.

Gaberdine

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
I'm currently using my 2013 iMac 27" running Catalina in TDM connected to a 2015 MacBook Air running High Sierra.

However, TDM only works when I'm not logged into a user account on the Catalina iMac. Either log out, switch user (without logging out), or just don't log in at all - it all works perfectly. However, switching to TDM from a logged in user account in Catalina doesn't display anything - the screen simply goes dark, despite the other Mac recognising that there is a display attached (it shows up in Displays System Pref). This is my experience of it. FWIW I'm connecting through a Thunderbolt dock, rather than directly.

So it works, but you can't run the TDM Mac as a headless machine in the background (as you could in eg High Sierra). Shame, as I used to run my iTunes from an earlier iMac in TDM.

In my experience, the Catalina Mac can connect to another Mac in Target Display mode - and I see no reason why it wouldn't, despite Apple saying it won't work.

Gaberdine

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Update on my earlier comment

As of yesterday, TDM is now working even when logged into a Catalina user account.

I cannot fully account for this, but I suspect it is to do with changes made in recent security updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.