Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
When a Mac does not boot up due to some software or hardware problems, I read you can use the target mode using another Mac or make a bootable image on the external HD (before the problem happens) and boot up from that external HD.

I have 4 Macs already with 5 external HDs. I am weary of using Maxtor's onetouch (retrospect programs) to making the bootable copy on the HD (I feel there can be some data corruptions when software try to make that bootable copy and retrieve that data back to a repaired or new HD). So my back up plans are simply to back up my home folders (mostly documents) without using a 3rd party back up program.

Except for the bootable copy of the HD (ie. all the files including systems files), is there any major difference in accessing a troubled Mac via the "target mode" or "bootable external HD?" Does either method achieve the goal (to fix the HD if it is fixable and to retrieve the data)?

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
If I understand your question correctly, it makes no difference. All you need is an external boot source - which can be either a stand-alone external drive with OS X on it, or another Mac - and that will let you access your non-bootable HD. Assuming of course that your problem is not a broken HD, just some corrupt start-up files or something.

The only difference is how you would get the computer to boot. Target mode is initiated differently to booting from an external drive. I think that if the Mac can't boot from its normal HD, it will look for another bootable volume. But if you want t o force to boot from an external HD, you need another key combo... which I can't remember at the minute :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.