Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
INSANE. This is exactly why I do not use any Meta products.

"[The] report said highly personal and financial information about sources of taxpayers’ income, tax deductions and exemptions was made accessible to Meta as taxpayers used the tax software to prepare their taxes.

That data came to Meta through its Pixel code, which the tax firms installed on their websites to gather information on how to improve their own marketing campaigns. In exchange, Meta was able to access the data to write targeted algorithms for its own users.

The program collected information on taxpayers’ filing status, income, refund amounts, names of dependents, approximate federal tax owed, which buttons were clicked on the tax preparers’ websites and the names of text entry forms that the taxpayer navigated, the report states.

Taxpayer data was also shared with Google, through its own tracking tools — though the firm told lawmakers that it never used the information to track users on the internet, according to the report.

The letter to federal agencies was signed by Sens. Elizabeth Warren, Ron Wyden, Richard Blumenthal, Tammy Duckworth, Bernie Sanders, Sheldon Whitehouse and Rep. Katie Porter. The lawmakers called for the agencies to “immediately open an investigation into this incident.”

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
This is exactly why I do not use any Meta products.

I am no fan of anything Meta, Zuckerberg, or Sandberg. But in this case, I blame the tax preparation firms, not Meta. These firms should not have used any tools, especially for tracking and login, provided by surveillance capitalism companies such as Meta, Alphabet, Twitter, and Adobe in their products. Anything involving personal finance needs to be held to high standards of security and privacy.

Reactions: heretiq

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I am no fan of anything Meta, Zuckerberg, or Sandberg. But in this case, I blame the tax preparation firms, not Meta. These firms should not have used any tools, especially for tracking and login, provided by surveillance capitalism companies such as Meta, Alphabet, Twitter, and Adobe in their products. Anything involving personal finance needs to be held to high standards of security and privacy.
Meta was able to access the data to write targeted algorithms for its own users.

Seems like Meta knew exactly what they were doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.