Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I’ve been using H&R Block tax return software for years. I have a 2012 Mini running something like 10.12.x and the new requirement is a couple steps newer. Well, if I upgrade the OS, I won’t be able to run Aperture. So I’m thinking of using my iPad to do the tax returns. I have stocks, bonds, mutual funds, retirement account withdrawals, and retirement pay. Any thoughts on a good tax return program? Thanks

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I pretty much hate Intuit, but reluctantly keep coming back to their TurboTax software.
Note that they have extremely variable pricing and confusing descriptions and hidden charges to extract more cash out of you that you need. For example, to add State return is often overpriced. They also have been deceptive about "free" filing.

It is almost impossible to figure which version is appropriate, they appear to make it as obscure as possible. (For example, Premier online version is needed for investments, but only Deluxe downloadable version is needed for investments, despite their descriptions.)

I find the best deal for most people is the downloadable version TurboTax Deluxe Federal plus State (does not actually include filing the State form!), which can usually be bought from Amazon in Jan/Feb for $40.
Do not overpay.

Last edited:
Reactions: SalisburySam

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Reactions: BigMcGuire

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
I started using MacInTax (Chipsoft) in 1987. TurboTax (Intuit) was he PC competitor. MacInTax had a better interview wizard that stepped the taxpayer through all the relevant categories and automatically filled out the forms. Intuit acquired Chipsoft in 1993 and added the interview wizard to TurboTax over subsequent years. Intuit maintained MacInTax and TurboTax as separate products until 1998 when it discontinued MacInTax once all the features were available in TurboTax and was compiled to run on both Mac and Windows.

I prefer the installed application vs online. Costco typically has the universal Mac/PC TurboTax in stock in late December or early January at a discount. I have been using MacInTax/TurboTax since 1987 and except for a occasional rare issue when importing data from a financial institution, has been reliable, accurate, and easy to use. TurboTax automatically imports data from prior years for comparison and to eliminate having to manually enter unchanged information. It just works!

Update: looks like even Costco is offering downloadable TurboTax on their web site.

Also, some financial institutions offer discounts on tax prep software.

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I won't disagree but where else will you go that does thing differently?
That's the problem, I really don't have another great choice, especially as once you start using Turbotax you are almost locked into using it in subsequent years because it remembers all your previous information, which is pretty important where there are carry-overs.

IMO, Intuit falls into the same type of business approach as cable companies like Comcast: no real choice of competitors (at least where I live in California, they bought out all their competitors), make one's choices of packages as confusing and obscure as possible, hide the cheaper choices, and make it as difficult and argumentative as possible to cancel anything.

Intuit have poured millions into lobbying to prevent the IRS from providing free e-filing for everybody. Ridiculous that people send in paper returns in 2022. What a waste of resources. All so Intuit and the like can keep milking their cash cow.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Since comfortable with H&R, they too have an online version, so should be same-o when compared to desktop version of program.

Running BootCamp/Parallels/VMWare? Can always go the Windows route.

One downside with the mobile/online version of the tax programs is that you can only do one return per account vs desktop versions allow up to 5(?) returns with the software. So if you are like me, doing other family member's returns, desktop is the only way to go.

And when using the online version, make sure you save a PDF copy and the .tax file to your Mac: heard horror stories with people trying to get back into their online accounts (particularly TT) and or access older tax years (again, mostly heard this with TT and I believe the free/basic level where they used to [still do?] charge extra for access to vaulted returns).

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Maflynn - Unfortunately TurboTax is mentioned in the article you linked — “Even Intuit, the company that runs America’s dominant online filing software, employed the pixel. Intuit’s TurboTax, however, did not send financial information to Meta but, rather, usernames and the last time a device signed in. In some circumstances, the pixel also gathered information like an order ID number and user’s email address after they signed in.” Oh joy.

wilburforce - The carry over part is why I’ve stayed with H&R Block all these years. But I don’t have any real carryover deductions so it wouldn’t be that difficult of a transition.

NoBoMac - As I recall, when I looked at the H&R site the online option for me was significantly more costly than the on my computer version. Odd they should do that because they give you multiple filings on the download version but only one (I think) on the online version. That said, given the link MaFlynn posted, I’m even more averse to going online. The good news is that I really have until February to decide (in order to give me time to actually do my taxes). I might give the IRS downloadable interactive forms a try or I may breakdown and get a new Mac Mini or a laptop. I could go the VM route and run Windows but then I need to get VMware and Windows. A MacBook Air is an option as I could take it on the road with me. Oh, I do print out my returns for filing and save a PDF version on my computer. I think it is a joke that H&R offers perpetual access to the software for an extra fee. What are you going to run it on in 7 years when it won’t run on the current system? You would have to find an old computer from someone like me who hangs onto stuff forever. 😳

p.s. Thanks everyone for your input!

Reactions: wilberforce

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I have a 2012 Mini running 10.14.x. I recently purchased the H&R Block software not fully paying attention to the minimum requirements. I was able to install and run it despite not meeting the minimum requirements. I haven’t done anything substantial with it yet so I can’t say if it will work 100%. My backup plan is to run it on a VirtualBox VM running Catalina which is free if you have the time/patience to get it up and running.

Reactions: DaveN

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
As I recall, when I looked at the H&R site the online option for me was significantly more costly than the on my computer version.

Ditto Turbo.

The online options are usually cheapest early in tax season. Longer you wait, the less chance of a cheaper filing. Sometimes one’s brokerage or bank will offer discounted access to tax software later in the season. Guessing maybe Costco, Sam’s as well.

And: at least with Turbo, the iOS apps are just wrappers around the online/web version, so all the downsides/restrictions of the online version are in play.

Reactions: DaveN

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I have a 2012 Mini running 10.14.x. I recently purchased the H&R Block software not fully paying attention to the minimum requirements. I was able to install and run it despite not meeting the minimum requirements. I haven’t done anything substantial with it yet so I can’t say if it will work 100%. My backup plan is to run it on a VirtualBox VM running Catalina which is free if you have the time/patience to get it up and running.
Hadn’t thought of using a VM that way. I was thinking run a VM to install Windows and that didn’t seem worth it to me. I can update my Mac OS on my mini to 10.14.x but that kills Aperture for me. I hat I really need to do is export my Aperture files to Photos so I can move on. I have Adobe Lightroom but I’ve only been using that for processing scans of old negatives using the third party Negative Lab Pro plug-in. Once I’m done with that, I’m done with Lightroom. I’ve been dragging it out though as I do it as a winter project when I’m inside anyway.

Edit: That gives me a thought. I could get an external drive and make it a boot drive just for newer programs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.