Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarcasticon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Denver, Colorado
My son-in-law's name is Cary. When I make notes with his name I get Kerry and Carrie. Is there any way to teach Siri to spell it right?

mcbride41407

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
Same problem

Hello, I was wondering if you ever figured out the answer to your question... My sons name is Jaidyn and every time I mention him to Siri she spells it Jaden and it's kinda driving me crazy lol... Thanks!!:confused:

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I haven't used Siri that much, but I am also wondering if you could train Siri to learn a users specific pronunciation. I have an odd mixture of accents and there are some words it just never gets right.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I haven't used Siri that much, but I am also wondering if you could train Siri to learn a users specific pronunciation. I have an odd mixture of accents and there are some words it just never gets right.

Use the search function for something along the lines of "Siri Phonetic" or something similar.

mcbride41407

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
Can you correct it in the notes? iOS should learn it

Not sure... I have only had the phone for a few days, so I don't have any idea how to do that... I've sent my husband a million text messages of my sons name and then corrected the spelling before sending it... but otherwise I wouldn't know how to access the notes :( Thank you tho!

yezza

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
mcbride - I don't know the fix to the Siri issue, but to fix the spelling of names etc, go to keyboard in general settings, then add a shortcut. Fill out both fields and you're away :)

glenaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2014
Teaching Siri to spell

When you ask Siri to call your contact you get a reply that it can not find "Contacts Name (the way Siri heard it )" in your contact list.

Do the following after writing down the way Siri thinks it should be spelled.

Go into contacts.
Go to the contact you are working with.
Go into "Edit"
Scroll down to "Add Field" and go into add field.
Go into "Phonetic First Name"
Spell in this field the way that Siri spelled the contact name that you wrote down.
Hit Done.

Now Siri will recognize your contact the way you say it. Siri will also spell it correctly now.

Last edited:

RikaHimamori

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2017
Teaching Siri to spell

When you ask Siri to call your contact you get a reply that it can not find "Contacts Name (the way Siri heard it )" in your contact list.

Do the following after writing down the way Siri thinks it should be spelled.

Go into contacts.
Go to the contact you are working with.
Go into "Edit"
Scroll down to "Add Field" and go into add field.
Go into "Phonetic First Name"
Spell in this field the way that Siri spelled the contact name that you wrote down.
Hit Done.

Now Siri will recognize your contact the way you say it. Siri will also spell it correctly now.
According to the help app in my phone, you should be able to say "Siri, that is not how you pronounce (whatever word) and Siri should ask how it should be pronounced. That's an easier way to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.