Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

resting

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Recently teamviewer has been throwing this message everytime I try to connect to my work laptop (on windows), rendering completely useless. I won't paying if there's a 1 time license purchase, but there isn't.

1616332773786.png

Whats the best alternative remote desktop software that works for both mac and windows, but doesn't require a subscription?

The one I'm looking at currently is Screens.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
JumpDeeskop is the nest Remote Desktop around, in my opinion.It puts TeamViewer to shame. There is no subscription. It is fast and reliable. I have been using it for years and have been very satisfied. The developers are very responsive as well.

I cosign this recommendation. Jump Desktop is the scrappy little-known option that is superior in so many ways. Way back when the 12.9 iPad Pro was released, Jump Desktop had mouse support on iOS for remotely connecting to systems... allowing the iPad Pro to effectively function like a Macbook.

I've been using Jump Desktop ever since.

XRayAdamo

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
It has. I have installed it on Windows, MacOs, Linux and have clients on iPad too. Also it is free

XRayAdamo

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
Here is a list of supported OSs and devices (even for Raspberry Pi)

resting

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Another happy JumpDesktop user here. Cross-platform, simple to use and performs very well.
JumpDeeskop is the best Remote Desktop around, in my opinion.It puts TeamViewer to shame. There is no subscription. It is fast and reliable. I have been using it for years and have been very satisfied. The developers are very responsive as well.

Tried JumpDesktop. Awesome.
Although I got confused with the JumpDesktop Connect.
I thought it'd work if both machines had the JumpDesktop app.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
JumpDeeskop is the best Remote Desktop around, in my opinion.It puts TeamViewer to shame. There is no subscription. It is fast and reliable. I have been using it for years and have been very satisfied. The developers are very responsive as well.

Couple of questions... you said "no subscription", but the website shows two options: $8/user/month and $16/user/month... and the MAS sells the client for $30... I am confused about that.

Also, does this do file transfer? I have to share work in progress several times a week with a dedicated windows machine... didn't see any option for file transfers...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Couple of questions... you said "no subscription", but the website shows two options: $8/user/month and $16/user/month... and the MAS sells the client for $30... I am confused about that.

Also, does this do file transfer? I have to share work in progress several times a week with a dedicated windows machine... didn't see any option for file transfers...

You can't drag and drop single files between computers but support says you can share a folder. That may work for you.

The price you see on the MAS is the one time fee. There is no subscription. The monthly pricing you saw was for business Team use.

I emailed the developer just now and asked specifically about drag and drop etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazmac

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012

I received a reply from the developer this morning.
------------

Hi Robert,
Thank you for the feature request, we're going to look into adding file transfer across platforms.
We do support folder sharing over RDP connections.
Please see:
https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/...ow-do-I-share-a-folder-over-a-RDP-connection-
Thanks

Reactions: AZhappyjack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.