Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i work remotely with 2 different people, both on macs. we use teamviewer, but am looking for a less-costly alternative (and not apple remote desktop). prefer silicon-ready apps...

any recommendations?

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
Why not ARD? It’s definitely the best solution you can get.

Alternatively, take a look at VNC Viewer, Ultra VNC, Tight VNC or any other VNC client.

Reactions: fisherking

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple Remote Desktop is definitely not the best solution here, unless you're accessing a computer on your local network, in which case you can just use Apple's built-in screen sharing. For accessing a computer that isn't on the local network, apps like Jump Desktop or Screens are very good. Of the 2, I prefer Jump Desktop.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
I must admit that I was presuming the use of a VPN to connect to the other Macs without explicitly mentioning it in my answer. Sorry for that.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
i work remotely with 2 different people, both on macs. we use teamviewer, but am looking for a less-costly alternative (and not apple remote desktop). prefer silicon-ready apps...

any recommendations?

Why do you need to remotely control their machines? Just curious.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Why do you need to remotely control their machines? Just curious.
i work with 2 different people on creative projects, where we work together (but over a significant distance). i need to see their screens, and do a lot of the actual work myself (organizing and structuring projects).

teamviewer has been great, but it's so expensive....

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
i work with 2 different people on creative projects, where we work together (but over a significant distance). i need to see their screens, and do a lot of the actual work myself (organizing and structuring projects).

At the gallery where I work, we've switched to RealVNC. It's proven very reliable, supports several OSs (Win, macOS, LInus, PiOS servers & clients plus iPadOS, iOS, & Android clients), is secure, and reasonably priced. I've been using it for the last 4 years, after dropping TeamViewer, primarily to access a macOS server (my dual monitor daily-use macOS Studio M-1 Ultra workstation in the gallery) from Win 11 (my personal quad monitor work-at-home rig).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

If they’re at the computer you’re connecting to, you could just do screen sharing through the Messages app. This requires the other user to accept the connection request: https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/screen-sharing-icht11883/mac

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022

Have you considered putting the files into an online space (like Box, OneDrive, Gdrive etc) and working from there instead? You can work on other people's files locally on your machine and the changes sync via the cloud back to their machines. You can use FaceTime to speak to them while working and share your screen if you need to show them what you're doing. Their files would also be available to you if they (and their machines) aren't.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Have you considered putting the files into an online space (like Box, OneDrive, Gdrive etc) and working from there instead? You can work on other people's files locally on your machine and the changes sync via the cloud back to their machines. You can use FaceTime to speak to them while working and share your screen if you need to show them what you're doing. Their files would also be available to you if they (and their machines) aren't.
we work together, so that would not be useful (but thanks). i do a lot of 'hands-on' with my collabs.

Reactions: kitKAC

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Sounds like Slack could be useful for that. Did you have a look at it yet?
i'm going to sit down this week and check out a few apps (slack has been mentioned to me before). leaning towards jump desktop... i need to keep it simple, my main collab is terrified of her mac, and teamviewer has served us well for 2 years (she has not needed to buy it).

anyway thanks all for recommendations 👍

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Why not use Apple's built-in Screen Sharing app? You can control their computer, and they can control yours, with the click of a button.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
There are many people who do not know that the Apple Screen Sharing App is not limited to a local network.
Open the screen sharing app, choose "new connection" from the menu and then enter the AppleID of the person you want to connect to. (The other person needs to have "Screen Sharing" enabled and they will receive a prompt to accept or deny the connection.)
It took me 10 years to figure that out... :)

Reactions: hxlover904
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.