Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Leave it to the cable companies to go and put there nose where it doesnt belong.

I can't see how this would benefit anyone, to have cable ISP's start filtering the web. If my broadband provider does this we're gonna have some words.

Are they gonna start blocking certain sections of the web and charge for them as "premium services". :rolleyes: lol....

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
It'll probably start with pared down news servers (alt.binaries.bye-bye), and proxies which block known warez sites.

Then the floodgates will open, and they'll try to trim any bandwidth hogs they can...once they are imbued with newfound power, expect to see ruthless tactics like incomplete DNS. I was in China last month, and was amazed at the hoops I had to jump through to get to some sites. If a gov't can do it effectively, private industry can do it blindfolded.

You can get around most of the cable companies known limitations, but the fact is you shouldn't have to, ever. My grandma doens't spend much time on alt.bianries.punk, but she should have the ability to if she gets out of her big band on vinyl 78s "phase".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.