Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Omnigraffle is a good solution that both my wife and I use. it might be a bit overkill though, if you're looking for something super basic and free/cheap.

drgrafix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
New England
Omnigraffle is a good solution that both my wife and I use. it might be a bit overkill though, if you're looking for something super basic and free/cheap.

Omnigraffle isn't free... maybe a "free" download or trial, but its $149 on their website. LOL... we're all looking for a truly free, simple, basic 2D drawing tool for Macs that isn't as complicated as the various CAD programs. I downloaded CorelCAD thinking maybe because I was somewhat CorelDraw savvy I could manage, but its 90% serious CAD at a minimum. Add to this there doesn't seem to be a tutorial on YouTube that walks you through the basics of making a drawing of a simple rectangular cookie tray (flat sheet of aluminum with folded up shallow sides).

Years ago, I was able to create stuff like that in VISIO, drawn to scale and IIRC... I could export it as a DXF file. So for those who maybe want to create a mechanical drawing that might be exported to a 3D printer or a CNC device, I still haven't found the magic bullet short of some sort of big learning curve CAD program.

I have a project I'm working on right now, created an illustration (see thumbnail) using Photoshop CS6 only bc I'm not AI savvy. Only put in some basic dimensions to explain it, but its an aluminum sheet radiator fan shroud for my car, uses two 12" fans. I have access to a CNC Plasma cutting table that could cut this in under a couple of minutes, including all pilot holes for drilling. Black background drawing shows a cut sheet, white shows the sides folded and welded as needed. Unfortunately, my friend with the Plasma Table isn't CAD savvy either, he's using cookie cutter pre-programed stuff to make decorative outdoor/indoor metal panels. All he does is change size, text, or font and cuts a custom 2D sign and sells it. So I need to find a CAD program for dummies LOL.

Attachments

• Sketch-Prespective-1.jpg
    Sketch-Prespective-1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Final Sheetmetal Layout-00.jpg
    Final Sheetmetal Layout-00.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 92

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Just noticed that Libre Office has a Draw program that will at least let you do dimensional rectangles and the like. I have not played with it much, so can't say much.
But the price is right.

thecrownguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2020
Just noticed that Libre Office has a Draw program that will at least let you do dimensional rectangles and the like. I have not played with it much, so can't say much.
But the price is right.

I have. It works great on my laptop but is awful on the Mac. It was fine on High Sierra, but since mojave I am stuck without a good option.

Helmi74

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
2 years later I just came across this thread and to be honest it's a bit frustrating. The whole affordable/approachable tech drawing space hasn't really evolved as it seems. I only came across a few apps through this thread and it's not much fun.

Macdraft looks really promising at first with a modern website - the app looks nice too. The featureset also sounds great but the licensing and pricing really seems a bit off for me. The private edition is good in terms of pricing but lacks a lot of important features that I would expect from a decent drawing app. Then the pricing is per version with no version history shown anywhere - so no clue on how often the software is updated and bumped to the next version. Updates aren't cheap either so that would be interesting. The community forums on their own site totally lack activity and essential questions like for native M1 support are unanswered. I also checked for some videos about Macdraft on Youtube to get an impression of the UX and how people experience it but there's nothing to find that isn't outdated for years.

Not sure when Corel came back to the Mac but I only realized that now. Unfortunately there pricing isn't really attractive anymore and Corel CAD which would be interesting is a whole other license next the draw suite and tech suite.

I wonder why they all are not really interested in lower priced licenses for private use. I can't imagine someone only using these tools here and there to be willing and able to pay multiple hundred dollars per year.

However - just in case someone sees this here - if you might know a tool similar to what the OP was searching for and which also is kind of the same thing I am looking for - let us know.

I'm totally willing to spend some money - if the licensing model is good it can also be a few more bucks but I'd at least expect to use it on multiple computers and if there's a Mac and Windows version I'd prefer to be able to use both. So a user based license would be highly preferred.

Reactions: mainemini

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
for free, Sketchup and TinkerCAD web versions do a great job. But if you're new to it, it will take some tutorials to get what you need. (definitely a step up from a basic object draw app)

garth_h

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2023
I just registered to say thank you to @harriska2 for the tip on Macdraft Personal Edition - I only saw their full pro version but the PE one is very well priced at $129. Great software and does what I think others here wanted: dimensioned drawings (a la CAD) but much visually nicer and easy to use tools to draw polygons to a set, real-world scale. Has a free trial too: https://www.microspot.com/products/macdraftpe/index.htm

Reactions: harriska2

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Nice Bro Thanks You 😍😍😍
If you are looking for scaled drawing where you can generate dimenions, you probably want a CAD app instead of a drawing app. Most drawing apps work on page sized dimentions instead of real world dimensions.

I don’t have TurboCAD but from what I’ve seen is it that kind of precision drafting app like the original AutoCAD.
this is their lowest priced mac app at $70
https://www.turbocad.com/featured-mac/turbocad-mac/turbocad-mac-designer-2d.html

I’ve tried Sketchup and several others but so many of them are more focused on 3D and they mostly want you to just eyeball sizes instead of being able to provide exact dimensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.