Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Is it possible that the current form of iPhone really is the best possible portable device we will ever invent?

• Glasses will always be a gimmick, and will never see mass adoption
• VR is even more of a gimmick
• Smart watch can't do what an iPhone does
• Samsung's flip / fold tech might never solve the purely technical problems of the folding screen.

All I can see going forward is the death of the notch. We could also hope as the silicon gets better, a smartphone that doubles like a Mac Mini, with full Thunderbolt-USB C; but Apple won't do that, so another company will.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

AR will enable a new mode of interaction with technology by taking a massive step towards the seamless unification of the digital and physical realm. The first smartphones (pre iPhone) were seen as gimmicks for nerds. Do you know how many people shunned the idea of mobile email? Almost all of them. Seems impossible to believe but it's entirely true, the excuse was "why do I need this when I can get my email at work or at home and those are the only places I do work." Can you think of a single enterprise today that doesn't utilize mobile email? I can name Gen Z people that have never used email outside of their smartphone.

The shape of the world today has been defined by smartphones because they opened up a door into an entirely new world; a digital world not constricted by many limitations of the real one (for better or worse). One of those limitations, however, is that a major constriction *does* exist in the form of the screen. The screen is a very distinct clean break between the real and the digital. AR removes that constriction to a large degree. At the very least it's an accessory for having any size virtual display you want (this is a major reason I will buy the 2023 Apple goggles and I know several others that want it for this reason even though none of us know what else the goggles might do). Don't underestimate the utility for physical social scenarios too. All sorts of digital activities will be possible if everyone has AR glasses on: group browsing, group shopping, group gaming (human scale virtual jenga? lol), the list goes on.

For consumers AR means a literal new dimension to both of their worlds. For the tech overlords ubiquitous AR means further consummating the marriage of their ads to our psyche (which is partly why they're so eager to pour money into it).

I wouldn't be so quick to say AR glasses will "never see mass adoption" for all those reasons. Apple's first AR/MR goggles will be niche just like smartphones and computers were... until someone creates a few killer apps and then there's no stopping it. By the time Apple's mass consumer glasses come around the paradigm will have matured to a considerable degree. I think for the forseeable future AR glasses will be considered an optional accessory to the iPhone but with a broader appeal vs. the Apple Watch. The iPhone is obviously not going anywhere anytime soon.

It could flop and go nowhere for consumers but for enterprise at the very least I think it's a no brainer.

Maybe. I think AR will be for 'arcade' style games, mainstream enterprise productivity, and general everyday consumer apps whereas VR will be more for gaming and specialized productivity applications. Once VR reaches retina level quality and can easily be driven at high frame rates on a home gaming PC it might become the new standard for AAA games.

Many mainstream VR gaming demos have been focussed on physical interaction via hand tracking remotes and moving around like a dork in your living room -- I have a large feeling this doesn't appeal to the average gamer gamer. Instead the appeal will be about full immersion into the game world via filling your peripheral vision + true 3D, so think today's games but instead of sitting at your desk with a keyboard and mouse staring at a screen you're sitting at your desk with a keyboard and mouse with a VR headset on. In this sense the VR headset will be an optional 'immersion' accessory rather than a requirement to play the game.

They were never meant to do what an iPhone does. They were always meant to be an accessory to your iPhone, primarily marketed as a means of getting real stats about your health and fitness. Most people I know think of the Apple Watch as a health device first, a notification device second, and a mini smartphone last (replacing only the most basic functions they would otherwise perform on their phone).

• Samsung's flip / fold tech might never solve the purely technical problems of the folding screen.

There are already other foldables that have done a better job than Samsung in terms of the crease issue. I think it's fairly obvious to say almost all issues with foldables will be solved within 7 years and from there foldability will become a fairly common expectation amongst premium smartphones (iPhone included).

Look at the OPPO Find N, it's a lot smaller than Samsung's Fold 4 (in folded state the Find N is about the size of an iPhone 13 Mini), the crease is less noticeable in normal use and it's arguably a lot more convenient to have a foldable phone that shrinks down to 'one hand' operation size vs. Samsung's Fold which is still massive even when folded. Maybe AR glasses will render foldables pointless anyway and phones will start to shrink in size again for that reason, who knows to be honest.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I believe that the ultimate goal is wetware. A merging of technology and your brain/body. Already there is a contact lense manufacturer that is testing micro lcd screens embedded in contact lenses. That's information delivered directly to your eyes. The same concept as HUD in military aircraft and high-end luxury vehicles.

Imagine a world where you can display any information you want on your own eyes and the ability to handle data and communications neurally. None of the stuff we have now is anywhere near that and will ultimately fade away as new products advance towards that goal.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
Well, I'm tempted to say that the next iteration ought to be an iPhone that you don't need to hold in your hand. I pass an awful lot of cyclists here riding hands-off while using their phone. But thinking about it, that's not such a good idea because most folk have forgotten what to do with their hand when it's not holding a phone.

Reactions: arkitect and Brad7

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I'm tempted to say that the next iteration ought to be an iPhone that you don't need to hold in your hand. I pass an awful lot of cyclists here riding hands-off while using their phone. But thinking about it, that's not such a good idea because most folk have forgotten what to do with their hand when it's not holding a phone.
My wife was on her phone the other night. We both have Bluetooth bone conduction headsets so she was using that while talking to her sister. But she kept holding her phone to her mouth. I interrupted her to explain that the active mic was not the one in her phone, but the one in her headset because she had connected that to her phone. So it was unnecessary to hold her phone up because that mic wasn't even active.

Your double entendre aside, (:)) my wife soon found other things to do with her hands, such as eating and putting her dishes in the sink - all while not holding her phone.

My own headset has enabled phone conversations while leaving my hands free to continue working (I work from home). I could use speaker, but I don't want to be shouting.

Reactions: Brad7

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
No it hasn’t. Never will. Or we won’t see it in our lifetime. There will always be something newer and better. Y’all seen Westworld ? Slim glass phones. Etc. imagine devices in 15-20 years. The sky’s the limit.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I’ll play devil’s advocate. IMO, a lot of the new stuff in development is looking to solve problems that don’t really exist. There’s a need for “new features” to sell devices, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be helpful/necessary or generate interest in the long run. Time will tell!

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Once microchips were discovered, sky is the limit. If you really think that anything has plateaued, you should expand your horizons. There will be things we wouldn't of even thought or dreamed of. In our lifetime, that's a different story. But there is no such thing as a plateau of any kind. Go 100 years back, then 50 years, then 25 years, then today... insane where we are, it's going to go much further. The current iPhone is the best possible device that we/you know of. There will be better.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I believe that the ultimate goal is wetware. A merging of technology and your brain/body. Already there is a contact lense manufacturer that is testing micro lcd screens embedded in contact lenses. That's information delivered directly to your eyes. The same concept as HUD in military aircraft and high-end luxury vehicles.

Imagine a world where you can display any information you want on your own eyes and the ability to handle data and communications neurally. None of the stuff we have now is anywhere near that and will ultimately fade away as new products advance towards that goal.
I don't think people will want this. It's invasive in a rather unpleasant way – in essence, it's cool. But when you realise that your eye is locked into Google or Apple's ecosystem? Those companies would have to be way more squeaky clean than they are now to earn that kind of trust.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Have to agree with the comments on this one. The OP obviously does not work in any industry even remotely related to technology. Likely the same guy who declared the horseless carriage as just a fad.
Well, I use tech a lot. But it's always the techheads who are trying to innovate, and let's face it. Other than Apple Watch, there hasn't been some major breakthrough in hardware. The next step may take a few more decades to work.

It's been 15 years since the iPhone now. 15 years before the iPhone? That was 1992 – hardly any laptops in existence, scarcely even internet.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
To be honest I thing we have only just begun. The current format for a phone may be exhausted but the functions could eventually be contained in Airpods and Watch combined, for instance. For visual presentation of data we could look at holographic projections from the watch as another example (we are, obviously not there yet).

There are literally hundreds of ways to go and the first one is to eliminate carrying around this heavy slab of SS/Aluminium/Glass and electronics. To me the next incremental step would be to finish the watch and make it complete. But we have a long way to go on battery design and we may have to use glasses to put up a display but this is only the path to a very exciting future.

har9020

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2022
Small Town, USA
Is it possible that the current form of iPhone really is the best possible portable device we will ever invent?

All I can see going forward is the death of the notch. We could also hope as the silicon gets better, a smartphone that doubles like a Mac Mini, with full Thunderbolt-USB C; but Apple won't do that, so another company will.
Funny thing about tech: it advances on its own schedule, not on a phonemaker's manufacturing deadline or fiscal projection year. "New for the sake of new" isn't always in the consumer's best interests. Every consumer has his or her own unique usage needs and habits, and many of us are quite happy with things as they are and don't want or need whatever tech options may be around the immediate corner. I like wireless charging but don't prefer it to wired charging for various reasons, and so I would greatly resent a portliest iPhone that can only be charged wirelessly if that were to become my only option after a while.

As for VR and these rumored glasses, well..... I suspect that's a niche market at best. I can remember when drone delivery was to be the Next Big Thing and, quite predictably, it stalled due to the obvious real-world obstacles it faced.

I don't need a smart watch to do everything an iPhone does. Who needs that, really?

The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented every year. If tech giants like Apple and Samsung want to develop foldable phones or computers that can be surgically inserted into one's genitals, fine. But don't drag everyone along kicking and screaming by making older, more conventional tech obsolete. Port-less iPhones? Fine for those who want them. But don't ram it down the throats of those who are happy with (and protective of) what they already have.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't think people will want this. It's invasive in a rather unpleasant way – in essence, it's cool. But when you realise that your eye is locked into Google or Apple's ecosystem? Those companies would have to be way more squeaky clean than they are now to earn that kind of trust.
I wouldn't assume that Google or even Apple would be around. Possibly they might, but I suspect things would be vastly different at that point.

There was a time where people thought Sears would be around forever. Google and Apple are both large now - but in 50 or 100 years?

How about the person(s) that are smarter than Elon Musk? There is and always will be the next genius, the next innovator, the next thing that no one saw coming.

And by that same token, just because we see it as invasive now, does it mean that in 100 years or so it will still be? Who knows what kind of advances will happen (and where they will occur) before then?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's been 15 years since the iPhone now. 15 years before the iPhone? That was 1992 – hardly any laptops in existence, scarcely even internet.
The internet is scarcely the first mass medium of communication. Before the internet you had Prodigy, Computserve, AOL and other online communities.

Before those you had the BBS (Bulletin Board System), something I was intimately involved in as a teen from 1984 on. Always on internet didn't come into our house until 2006. Wardialing used to be a thing…

And before the BBS, which by the way launched in 1978, there were still modems and other forms of communication via computers/mainframes.

The internet as we know it now will eventually be replaced by IP addresses focused around IPV6. What replaces that, who knows? But people will always seek communication.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I wouldn't assume that Google or even Apple would be around. Possibly they might, but I suspect things would be vastly different at that point.

There was a time where people thought Sears would be around forever. Google and Apple are both large now - but in 50 or 100 years?

How about the person(s) that are smarter than Elon Musk? There is and always will be the next genius, the next innovator, the next thing that no one saw coming.

And by that same token, just because we see it as invasive now, does it mean that in 100 years or so it will still be? Who knows what kind of advances will happen (and where they will occur) before then?
All good points, and I agree with you.

I can easily see technology changing vastly in 25 years or so. And that was my point. We are in the midst of a plateau, which may last another 10-15 years before something major changes.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
The current system is invasive. I see folk permanently on their devices, walking down the street chatting to the ether, phones permanently in their hand. That's pretty invasive. True, I live in the country that has more smartphones per head of population than any other country in Europe (Spain), and the Spanish do like to chat. To be able to chat permanently is their idea of heaven.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The current system is invasive. I see folk permanently on their devices, walking down the street chatting to the ether, phones permanently in their hand. That's pretty invasive. True, I live in the country that has more smartphones per head of population than any other country in Europe (Spain), and the Spanish do like to chat. To be able to chat permanently is their idea of heaven.
Yeah, I quit all social media and deleted 90% of the apps from my phone for this reason. Perhaps I'm in denial about how far people will go to be plugged in all the time...

• Haha
Reactions: hockeyfan81

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Perhaps I'm in denial about how far people will go to be plugged in all the time...
You might be. As a teenager living in a rural community that had no sidewalks to roll up at 5pm, I was desperate to get out. Being plugged in and able to interact with people was an escape.

As soon as I got my license at 16 I was never home except to sleep.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Jun 7, 2022
I don't think so. CPU's are going to get faster and more efficient. That alone is enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.