Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I have a pretty strong background in music...many years on the trumpet and piano and several courses in music theory, so the basics are covered.

Recently I've been getting interested in techno...but only as far as listening.

I'd be interested in trying my hand at making some beats and seeing what I can do, but I have no idea where to start. I have 0 knowledge on how techno is mixed. Can anyone point me towards some really basic info or websites on mixing techno-type tracks, or anything of the like? I'm quite interested in getting to know more about this...thanks! :)

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
for what it's worth...

OutThere said:
I have a pretty strong background in music...many years on the trumpet and piano and several courses in music theory, so the basics are covered.

Recently I've been getting interested in techno...but only as far as listening.

I'd be interested in trying my hand at making some beats and seeing what I can do, but I have no idea where to start. I have 0 knowledge on how techno is mixed. Can anyone point me towards some really basic info or websites on mixing techno-type tracks, or anything of the like? I'm quite interested in getting to know more about this...thanks! :)

I actually tell everybody this, but:
you should check out iDrum. You'll be able to get a techno beat going in nothing flat. Just import into GarageBand and add whatever loops you want...

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
You want software that will do loops/repeated beats. Reason is perhaps the best for Mac/Win. FL Studio on Windows is good (no Mac version). Of course Cubase or Logic can be used to make techno too. Techno is easy to make and fun. Good luck!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
forgot about this thread...thanks for the input guys! I've started with some basic tutorials and I'm looking in to Reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.