Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Half Glass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Just got 2 x 1GB Techworks sticks from New Egg and I keep getting Kernal panics...the transparent screen of death!!

It has happened 3 times so far. Twice during ffMPEGX while encoding 720p MPEG to H.264.

Any thoughts? I left the 2x512s in riser A, and put the 2x1GB in riser B they are both in the same positions on the riser.

The TechWorks are supposed to be certified...HELP!! ANGRY!!

--Half Glass

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you run Apple Hardware Test, does the RAM test out OK?

The RAM may be defective, but there's another possibility

(I know this isn't what you want to hear) Back everything up and erase and reinstall. Seriously.

Had a customer with just this problem... Mac Pro, stock 2 x Apple RAM, added 2 x 1 Gb. RAM passes every test under the sun, but the system panics regularly. Replaced with new RAM. Same thing - RAM tests good but continual panics. Erased and reinstalled the OS -- right down to the ground -- and has not had a single panic since.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006

(I know this isn't what you want to hear) Back everything up and erase and reinstall. Seriously.

Had a customer with just this problem... Mac Pro, stock 2 x 256, added 2 x 1 Gb. RAM passes every test under the sun, but the system panics regularly. Replaced with new RAM. Same thing - RAM tests good but continual panics. Erased and reinstalled the OS -- right down to the ground -- and has not had a single panic since.

Very true, if th hardware checks out fine, reinstall the os, Sorry. :(

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Had a customer with just this problem... Mac Pro, stock 2 x Apple RAM, added 2 x 1 Gb. RAM passes every test under the sun, but the system panics regularly. Replaced with new RAM. Same thing - RAM tests good but continual panics. Erased and reinstalled the OS -- right down to the ground -- and has not had a single panic since.

Really? That's just bizarre. Sounds as if the operating system version duplicated to the hard drive had a bug.

I used to depend on TechWorks RAM all the time so I wouldn't think that there would be a problem but anything can be.

hidea

macrumors regular
May 10, 2006
are you sure it's the RAM?
have you tried reading the crash report's log?

I've been having kernel panics with logitech's new driver. I just can't be arsed to fix it. as I know how to reproduce the bug that causes this.

before anything, back up, like what CanadaRAM have said. It's a good idea to back up anyway (back it up onto your 2nd drive, or whatever).

and reinstalling OS isn't like it's an extremely bad thing. the brightside, you'd have a fast system again once you're done with the reinstallation process.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Really? That's just bizarre. Sounds as if the operating system version duplicated to the hard drive had a bug.

I've seen it before. For example, the copy of 10.3.0 that came with my G4 tower would, if I recall correctly, break the disk image mounter if you updated to 10.3.2 without going via 10.3.1 first. A few people had reported the problem, but it didn't happen if you installed the OS yourself.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've seen it before. For example, the copy of 10.3.0 that came with my G4 tower would, if I recall correctly, break the disk image mounter if you updated to 10.3.2 without going via 10.3.1 first. A few people had reported the problem, but it didn't happen if you installed the OS yourself.

It sounds like the early days of Mac OS X where I would have to do 2 or 3 installations so the whole system would be installed. I thought that we were past those troubles.

Half Glass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Apple Hardware Test says OK

Ran the Hardware test and it reports all is well under both the basic and advanced modes.

Haven't had a chance to do much more so far. Will continue to play with and will dig into the logs as well.

Thank you for your responses. I hope it does not come to a fresh install...at least not until Leopard. I was planning on a fresh install for that.

So with the Hardware test--does that mean this is NOT a RAM problem, or could it still be?

Thanks,

--HG

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Have you tried removing your new RAM and see if it still KP? I have those same RAM and the same set up as you (2x512 and 2x1GB) and mine has not KP'd once. So try removing the new RAM. If it doesn't KP, put the new RAM back in. If it KPs with it, then i guess it's bad RAM. Try reseating them also.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Have you tried removing your new RAM and see if it still KP? I have those same RAM and the same set up as you (2x512 and 2x1GB) and mine has not KP'd once. So try removing the new RAM. If it doesn't KP, put the new RAM back in. If it KPs with it, then i guess it's bad RAM. Try reseating them also.

Definitely. Try reseating the RAM first. If that doesn't work, take the RAM out and see if you still get KPs. If they go away, take your RAM back and buy something else.

Half Glass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Does order matter?

I tried reseating and that did not have an effect.

However, I then moved the 2x512 to the bottom and the new 2x1GB to the top riser and haven't had a KP yet. Although I have not done much/spent much time on the computer, it hasn't crashed yet.

Time will tell.

--Carl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.